Blue Square South
Tuesday 27 November 2007 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: D2-2 attendance: 509

team: Perrin, Rollo (c), Keddle, Coupe, Holland, Harris (Partridge 63), Simpson (S Jones 67), Hogg, Gilroy, Walsh, McKeever (McKay 45). subs not used: Paul, Edwards.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Hogg (pen 78, pen 81)
bookings: Holland (60)
officials: S Knapp (Bristol), S Barclay (Dorchester), G Childs (Dorchester)

league position: 4th form: dWWLWD next match: Lewes (A)

Report taken from

Lewis Hogg's late penalty double dug Bath City out of a hole at Twerton Park as they somehow salvaged a point from their Blue Square South clash with lowly Hayes & Yeading United. The visitors looked set to take the spoils when Tobias Little gave then a fully deserved 2-0 lead midway through the second half, but City were handed a lifeline when Dave Gilroy won a penalty after a needless foul by keeper Delroy Preddie 12 minutes from time. Midfielder Hogg stepped up to send Preddie the wrong way and repeated the trick three minutes later after Phillip Walsh was brought down in the area.

The lively finish to the game was a far cry from an awful first period in which City failed to find any sort of cohesion. Their pre-match preparations were ruined when keeper Paul Evans was held up for two hours in a Cardiff traffic jam and was forced to miss the clash, with replacement Steve Perrin sitting down to his tea when manager John Relish sent him an SOS. Gethin Jones and Darren Edwards failed fitness tests, meaning returns to the side for Jim Rollo and Gilroy, and City looked out-of-sorts for most of the contest. The normally dependable Chris Holland suffered more than most and showed a sign of things to come when he was caught out twice in the opening stages but not punished by either Scott or Keiran Knight. City attempted to combat the visitors' five-man midfield by switching to three at the back themselves, with Mark McKeever deployed in a more central position behind the strikers. But they failed to create much up front, with Walsh coming closest to scoring when his prodded effort from a McKeever free-kick was only parried by Preddie before the ball was hacked away. Perrin had been the busier keeper up until that point, but had no chance when Scott beat him for the opener with a shot on the turn through a crowd of players following a lofted ball into the City box. McKeever sent a free-kick just over the bar on the stroke of half-time and it proved his last act as he was replaced by the impressive Justin McKay at the interval.

The hosts, who were looking to go third in the Blue Square South table with victory over a side lying 16th, failed to raise their game at the start of the second half and it took a flying save from Perrin to keep out Charles Mapes' 25-yarder. The stand-in City No 1 parried a Knight effort four minutes later and the hosts broke quickly from the back through Sekani Simpson's run down the right, with Hogg directing a free header wide from the former Forest Green man?s cross. City then had a real let-off when Ram Marwa burst into the box unchallenged from the right flank and squared towards Mapes and Scott at the far post, but the ball evaded both of them with Perrin's goal at their mercy. Relish sent on Scott Partridge for Adie Harris in a bid to liven up his attack but saw his side fall further behind two minutes later. Holland allowed Scott to turn him on the right and the ball was threaded across the City box to wing-back Little, who fired past Perrin and into the far corner for a goal that looked as though it would settle the contest. With Hayes sitting back and inviting pressure, City finally enjoyed a spell on top and Preddie did well to block McKay's powerful strike from the edge of the box after a dashing run and centre from Partridge. Holland headed just wide from the resulting corner, but City suddenly sensed there was life in the game yet. They won their first penalty when Gilroy chased the ball away from goal after failing to control Paul Keddle's cross and was recklessly barged to the floor by Preddie. Hogg had missed his previous spot-kick in the FA Cup defeat to Torquay, but stepped up confidently to slot the ball into the bottom-right corner. Incredibly, Hayes conceded another soft penalty three minutes later when Walsh, who was facing away from goal 16 yards out, was caught by Nevin Saroya's outstretched leg. Again, Hogg kept his cool and put his penalty in the opposite corner, with Preddie guessing incorrectly for the second time and diving the other way. The quick-fire double roused the crowd, but it was Hayes who finished the stronger side and who will feel mighty aggrieved at travelling back to London with only a point to show for their efforts.