Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 8 December 2007 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 645

team: Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Harris, Hogg (Partridge 9), McKay, Edwards (Simpson 75), Gilroy, McKeever (Keddle 25). subs not used: Walsh, S Jones.
man of the match: Darren Edwards
scorers: Edwards (4), Gilroy (52)
bookings: Edwards (54), Harris (81)
officials: W Bull (Southampton), R Taylor (Weymouth), T Richardson (Weymouth)

league position: 4th form: WLWDLW next match: Newport (FAT) (A)

Report taken from

This was Bath City of old, unlike the more tentative performances of recent weeks. A team effort where every player played their part, solid in defence, keenly contested in midfield and capped by two well-taken, but ultimately simple, goals, one in each half.

The shock before the start was Phil Walsh, who had battled hard to get into the side in recent weeks and looked to have done little wrong, being replaced by Dave Gilroy. Manager John Relish said: "I wanted to freshen things up, Gilly had looked really sharp in training and Phil maybe a little jaded after some tough battles. I have now got four good strikers and I need to rotate them. Walshy will undoubtedly be back." The manager's decision looked to have been vindicated as early as the fourth minute. A move which began with Gilroy passing to his right on the edge of the Maidenhead 18-yard box saw Lewis Hogg skip past the visitors' defence before playing a deft ball for an unmarked Darren Edwards to fire home from close range. Despite Serge Makafo having a couple of half chances - one wide, one straight into Paul Evans' arms - as the half wore on, it was all Bath pressure. Chris Holland had a header from a Mark McKeever corner blocked by the defence, Gilroy saw a header a few minutes later cleared off the line by Romayne Benjamin and Scott Partridge, on for an injured Hogg, brought out a fine save from visiting keeper Francisco Ramos. However, the best chance of all fell to Paul Keddle, another enforced substitution, coming on for McKeever, who only yards from goal spooned a Gilroy cross over the cross bar.

For the second period, given the lacklustre nature of the visitors' first-half performance, better might have been expected. The home side killed that idea stone dead within seven minutes of the restart. A good ball played forward by Adie Harris found Edwards down the right. Edwards took the ball to the by-line before crossing to an unmarked Gilroy who slotted home for a deserved goal. From then on, Maidenhead tried to get back into the game. The previously anonymous Manny Williams had two good shots, the second bringing out a finger tip stretching save from Evans. With Edwards limping off just after the hour mark, City had two objectives before the final whistle - maintain the score line and not pick up any more injuries. Both aims were comfortably achieved, with the visitors looking well beaten come the fine whistle. City even had one further opportunity to extend their lead as substitute Sekani Simpson, with his back to goal, swivelled and passed to Partridge whose shot was again well taken by Ramos.