Blue Square Conference South
Wednesday 26 December 2007 - The Avenue Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 807

team: Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, S Jones, Hogg, McKay, Edwards (Walsh 69), Gilroy (Partridge 75), Keddle (Wood 63). subs not used: Harris, Simpson.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Hogg (71)
bookings: McKay (39)
officials: C Berry (Slough), M Lawrence (Bridgwater), D Bryant (Weston SM)

league position: 5th form: DLWLdD next match: Weston SM (A)

Report taken from

This was the game where Lewis Hogg turned from sinner to saint for Bath City. Widely condemned for his red card in Bath's last match, and succession of yellows before that, he turned into the Boxing Day hero for the large travelling contingent of fans with an equalising goal. City had gone one down just before the hour mark and were battling to get back into the game. A Dave Gilroy shot hit the upright and Dorchester failed to deal with the rebound, with the ball falling to Hogg. From 14 yards, he blasted it past Darren Behcet in the Dorchester goal. "Some people feel I should have left Lewis out after his booking," said manager John Relish. "But I hoped he would have an answer and he did. "Though I have to say he turned up today pretty down and I don't think he has had a good Christmas, feeling he had let the team down. But this was an excellent response."

Earlier there had been little to set the pulses racing of Dorchester's largest home league gate of the season. With just one shot wide of the goal from Ivan Forbes to their credit, Dorchester found the City defence hard to penetrate. For Bath, although Steve Jones brought out a comfortable diving save from Behcet in the home goal as early as the fourth minute, the home keeper had to wait a further 40 before collecting the ball under threat from a Dave Gilroy header. In between, City had plenty of possession, but few threats other than when Darren Edwards got the better of Cardiff City loanee Bradley Middleton to square the ball across goal untouched. Dorchester finally shook of their Christmas lethargy and burst into action just before the half hour when, out of nothing, James Rowe hit a well flighted shot from over 30 yards. With Evans beaten, the ball came back off the cross bar. Dorchester again went close just four minutes later. A ball deflected off Matt Coupe was casually collected by Paul Evans. Keeper and defence alike were surprised that referee, Mr Berry, signalled a back pass. With the free-kick taken not more than four yards from the City net, the entire Bath side lined up on the goal line. Rowe's free-kick rebounded off the wall to be collected by Evans.

The second half was more of the same until Jones Awuah set the ground alight when he got on the end of substitute Jamie Gleeson's cross to slide the ball home. Then came Hogg's goal and, despite several City free-kicks and corners in the closing stages, Bath could not force the ball into the net. Relish added: "I thought we were the better side, we had lots of half chances, but failed in our final touch. "I also thought today showed what Mark McKeever contributes from his set pieces. We really missed him."