Blue Square Conference South
Friday 21 March 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 955

team: Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, S Jones, Hogg, McKay, Edwards (Walsh 77), Gilroy, Wood (Simpson 71). subs not used: Paul, McKeever, Dunn.
man of the match: Matt Coupe
scorers: Gilroy (24)
dismissals: Hogg (67)
officials: A Coggins (Bicester), M Argile (Guildford), G Thorley (Harrow)

league position: 7th form: LWDdLD next match: Basingstoke (A)

Report taken from

Lewis Hogg will miss a huge chunk of Bath City's remaining Blue Square South fixtures after collecting his second red card of the season in a Good Friday draw with FA Cup heroes Havant & Waterlooville. The midfielder, who starts a three-match ban next Saturday after collecting 15 bookings this term, was given his marching orders for a late 65th-minute challenge on visiting striker Craig Watkins. Hogg's dismissal came just two minutes after Brett Poate's clinical finish had cancelled out Dave Gilroy's 18th goal of the season for City and denied the hosts the chance to return to the division's top five. The contest was affected by a strong wind blowing towards the Bath End goal and, as such, City made most of the running in the first half before they were pinned back for long periods after the interval. Boss John Relish was unable to reinforce his ailing squad with new signings in midweek and selected the same 11 men that started the defeat at Fisher six days previously, opting against recalling goalscorer Sekani Simpson from the bench.

The hosts played down the slope and with the aid of the wind in the first period and fashioned the first chance of the game when Justyn McKay's first-time pass sent Hogg scampering to the byline. His cross was met by Jason Wood, whose far-post shot lacked any power and was easily cleared. Watkins was yellow-carded in the fifth minute for a foul 25 yards out and McKay's low free-kick beat the wall and had Kevin Scriven scrambling to his right to make the save. Havant went closer on 11 minutes from the first corner of the game, centre-back Neil Sharp meeting Poate's right-wing kick and seeing his header deflect off a teammate and up onto the top of Paul Evans' crossbar. Rollo then hacked clear from inside his own six-yard box after Gavin McCallum robbed Matt Coupe on the byline and fired in a low cross from the left. Shaun Wilkinson's dangerous right-wing centre was missed by Coupe moments later, but the ball flew just in front of the lurking Rocky Baptiste before the Havant striker had time to react. Bit it was City who took the lead in bizarre fashion on 24 minutes. Havant won a free-kick 45 yards from their own goal and the groans of the home crowd soon turned to cheers as Scriven booted the ball straight at Sharp and it rebounded into Edwards' path. The striker was left with a clear run on goal from the right and he advanced down the flank before crossing for Gilroy to head home from virtually on the goalline. Edwards' cross might well have been going in in any case, but Gilroy gleefully accepted the gift to register his first goal in six games and almost had a second two minutes later with a shot just wide from McKay's right-wing corner. Havant still threatened on the break and Evans was troubled by a Watkins shot from the edge of the box before Poate's lob from 30 yards had the City custodian back-pedalling after the hosts only half-cleared a corner. A long ball from defence then put Edwards in the clear on the edge of the area, but he was denied first by Scriven and then by Gary Elphick as he attempted to lob home. Gilroy's goal seemed to lift a weight from his shoulders and the top-scorer saw a shot deflected just wide after jinking across the edge of the box, before McKay also had an effort blocked behind.

Havant enjoyed plenty of possession with the conditions in their favour at the start of the second half, but, aside from a couple of corners, failed to threaten until Wilkinson lashed a shot from distance wide just before the hour mark. That served as a warning City failed to heed and the visitors were on level terms on 63 minutes when left-back Poate played a one-two with Paul Watson and ghosted into the box to finish superbly past Evans and into the top-left corner of the net. Two minutes later, City were down to 10 men when Hogg caught Watkins as he latched on to a loose ball just inside his own half and referee Anthony Coggins quickly brandished a straight red card - much to the dismay of the home bench and the player himself. An incensed Hogg had to be dragged away from the official and a cluster of Havant players by Edwards and also gave the referee's assistant a piece of his mind before eventually disappearing down the tunnel. Simpson joined the fray in place of Wood, but Havant were well on top and twice in a minute Evans came to City's rescue. First, he got down well to push substitute Charlie Henry's low drive wide and then clung on to Watkins' header from a Jamie Collins cross after palming it onto the inside of his left upright. But, with Phillip Walsh on for Edwards, City began to stretch their opponents for the first time in the half and Scriven clutched a Chris Holland header at the second attempt after the defender rose highest at the far post to meet McKay's free-kick from the right. The Havant No 1 then dived at Simpson's feet on the right touchline after the substitute was involved in a neat exchange with Gilroy. Havant had the final chance of the game, though, with the lively Henry blasting just over Evans' bar after being found in space on the edge of the box.