Pre-Season Friendly
Tuesday 22 July 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-1 attendance: n/a

team: Evans (Perrin 45), Simpson, Beswetherick (Rollo 45), Coupe (c), Holland (Cochlin 45), Badman (Wood 70), Rogers, Gosling, Edwards (Gilroy 45), Douglas (Paul 85), Hogg. subs not used: none
man of the match: Steve Perrin
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: M Pottage

league position: n/a form: ---WdL next match: Melksham Town (A)

Report taken from

Bath City suffered their first friendly defeat of the summer as Yemi Odubade's early strike for Blue Square Premier title hopefuls Oxford United settled an even contest at Twerton Park. The game gave City fans their first chance to see new signings Stuart Douglas and Paul Cochlin in action on home soil, while Jamie Gosling, who lined up on the left wing, was back on his old stamping ground five years after leaving for Yeovil Town. Trialists Jon Beswetherick and Mark Badman both started the game, with the former making his first appearance in City colours at left-back.

The lightning pace of Odubade had already troubled a City defence who took time to find their feet when he fired the only goal of the night with just 76 seconds on the clock. Adam Murray's pass found the forward in plenty of space and his shot had just enough power to beat Paul Evans in the City goal. Douglas and starting strike partner Darren Edwards both threatened in a first half of few openings, while Lewis Hogg's long-range free-kick flew straight at keeper Ben Hinchcliffe. Odubade almost doubled his tally with a shot across the face of goal after a neat turn at the other end.

Keeper Steve Perrin, captain Jim Rollo, Cochlin and Dave Gilroy all entered the fray for the second half and Badman had the first chance, scuffing wide after collecting a lay-off from the hard-working Douglas. Perrin then made the first of a series of excellent saves to foil Odubade after Sekani Simpson played the ex-Yeovil man onside and he bore down on goal from the right and later denied substitutes James Constable and Lewis Haldane in similar fashion as City pushed for an equaliser. The closest they came was with 12 minutes to go when Gilroy's goalbound shot was headed away from an unguarded net by Chris Wilmott after Douglas had been grounded by Hinchcliffe's challenge on the edge of the box. City assistant manager Adie Britton, in charge of the side in the work-enforced absence of boss John Relish, said: "We were pleased with what happened in the game because I think you'll find with Darren Patterson in charge and the signings they've made Oxford will be a decent force in the Conference National this season." "Oxford are full-time and we're part-time and yet we've had a fair share of the game. "I think our fitness levels with two-and-a-half-weeks to go until the season are very good - I'm pleased."