Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 23 August 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 820

team: Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, S Jones (Badman 73), Hogg, Rogers, Edwards (Carey-Bertram 12), Douglas (Paul 73), Simpson. subs not used: Slocombe, Cochlin.
man of the match: Gethin Jones
scorers: Douglas (pen 14)
bookings: Evans (54), Hogg (82)
officials: J Bushby (Wallingford), S Wales (Tewkesbury), S Oakey (Cheltenham)

league position: 13th form: --LdWD next match: Worcester City (A)

Report taken from

TeamBath are still waiting for their first victory over Bath City after the landlords and their tenants shared the honours at Twerton Park. City went into the contest looking to record their seventh win in eight games against the University of Bath outfit and deservedly led at the break through Stuart Douglas' 15th-minute penalty. But the summer signing's first goal for the club was cancelled out by another spot-kick as Marc Canham levelled for TeamBath in a second period they largely controlled. City had their moments, though, and it took two fine saves from Jake Meredith to deny the hosts a winner as both Danny Carey-Bertram and Scott Rogers were thwarted. Rogers and Jim Rollo both recovered from the ankle ligament injuries they sustained at Bishop's Stortford a week earlier to retain their places in an unchanged City starting 11. Pre-match league leaders TeamBath, meanwhile, fielded the same side that had recorded three big wins in their first three Blue Square South outings, but they were immediately on the back foot as City came roaring out of the blocks.

Rogers was soon in the thick of the action, winning the first corner of the game inside the first minute before striking the TeamBath goal frame in the sixth. The midfielder found himself in space eight yards out after Steve Jones nodded down Lewis Hogg's free-kick and powered a volley against the face of the bar, the ball rebounding into the midfielder's body before it was gratefully seized by TeamBath keeper Meredith. City made an early change when Edwards, who injured an ankle in the opening exchanges, struggled from the field to be replaced by new signing Carey-Bertram. But two minutes later they were ahead. Sekani Simpson's steepling right-wing cross caused more problems for the nervous-looking TeamBath defence and, although the visitors survived one penalty appeal when Rogers went down under Gary Warren's aerial challenge, referee John Busby pointed to the spot when Hogg was tripped by Matt Lock seconds later. Douglas stepped up confidently despite his previous lack of goals and duly sent Meredith the wrong way with a well-placed penalty to the keeper's left before celebrating in front of the fans on the Popular Side. Simpson and Hogg were causing TeamBath plenty of problems on the flanks and the former was halted by the advancing Meredith after a lively burst into the box before Carey-Bertram saw a shot from distance charged down after a flick by Douglas. Steve Abbott, the division's leading scorer, was the first player cautioned when he clattered into Gethin Jones in front of the home dugout, receiving an earful from Matt Coupe in the process. The final 20 minutes of the half were scrappy, with City showing none of their early urgency to attack while remaining typically resolute at the back, with Gethin Jones, Coupe and Chris Holland dealing effectively with a series of high balls from the TeamBath and Steve Jones maintaining a tight grip on the midfield battle. City keeper Paul Evans was a virtual spectator against a side that had netted 14 times in their previous three games and was not troubled when TeamBath produced their first effort on goal two minutes before the interval, Josh Llewellyn sending a hopeful shot from 20 yards sailing over the bar. It was a somewhat different story after the interval, however, as TeamBath grew in stature.

Evans was called into action in the first minute of the second period, but Abbott's header from Takumi Ake's centre lacked any power. Rollo was then forced to send a header over his own bar from Mike Perrott's whipped right-wing cross and Holland did well to force Llewellyn wide and concede a corner after the forward burst on to Canham's well-weighted pass. Gethin Jones then hacked clear under pressure from Sami El-Abd six yards from his own goal. But the equaliser the university team had threatened since the break arrived on 55 minutes. Another accurate ball over the top saw Llewellyn nip in behind the home defence and he touched the ball past Evans before being felled by the big South African's outstretched left arm. The fact that Llewellyn was running away from goal probably spared the keeper a red card, but he was cautioned before being beaten by Canham's spot-kick, which was struck firmly into the centre of the goal. TeamBath head coach Andy Tillson, in charge of the side with manager Ged Roddy at the Olympic Games in Beijing, made a double substitution immediately, sending on strikers Joe Arnold and Matt Cooper for wingers Ake and Perrott. Dean Smith then became the third player booked by Mr Busby after fouling Jones on the edge of the City box. City gradually found a way back into the game and Douglas sent a close-range volley over the bar under pressure from El-Abd after Carey-Bertram nodded Steve Jones' header from the right into his path. The hosts then won three quick corners, the third of which coming after Carey-Bertram collected Hogg's pass and saw Meredith palm his low drive around the post. At the other end, the powerful Abbott was beginning to revel in the space afforded to him around the edge of the box and hooked in a cross that Cooper headed just over the top. City chief John Relish sent on Martin Paul and Mark Badman for goalscorer Douglas and Steve Jones in a bid to freshen up his tired-looking side for the final 16 minutes, but the contest became increasingly disjointed with neither side taking any undue risks. Lock entered Mr Busby's book for a foul on Hogg in the 83rd minute, with the City midfielder following him for retaliation after a couple of earlier warnings. City went close from the resulting free-kick, which Hogg delivered from the left flank. Holland met it at the far post and the ball was flicked on by Paul for Rogers, who saw his header from point-blank range tipped over superbly by Meredith. As the clock ticked down, Relish was involved in an angry exchange of words with a spectator behind the tunnel. The argument continued at the final whistle, with Relish revealing later that he had been riled by comments made about skipper Rollo. TeamBath had a couple of late half chances, but could not make them pay and drop to second in the table after AFC Wimbledon maintained their perfect start to the season with a 1-0 win at Basingstoke. City, meanwhile, lie 13th ahead of their trip to Worcester City on Monday.