Blue Square Conference South
Monday 25 August 2008 - St Georges Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 915

team: Perrin, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, S Jones, Hogg, Rogers, Carey-Bertram (Paul 84), Douglas (Cochlin 74), Simpson (Badman 63). subs not used: Slocombe, Wood.
man of the match: Steve Perrin
scorers: Douglas (pen 44)
bookings: Hogg (41), Paul (90)
officials: S Phipps (Abingdon), S Wales (Tewkesbury), S Oakey (Cheltenham)

league position: 10th form: -LdWDW next match: AFC Wimbledon (H)

Report taken from

Stuart Douglas' second penalty in three days earned Bath City an excellent victory over old adversaries Worcester City at St George's Lane. The former Luton striker coolly converted a spot-kick on the stroke of half-time to give City some reward for a dominant first-half performance. But the visitors had to withstand a second-half battering from the former Blue Square North outfit to emerge with the points and Steve Perrin marked his first start of the season with a late penalty save from Mark Owen. Perrin took the gloves after regular No 1 Paul Evans failed a late fitness test on his problematic knee. Danny Carey-Bertram made his full debut up front with Darren Edwards sidelined by the ankle injury he suffered against TeamBath on Saturday.

And the short-term signing thought he had given the visitors a fifth-minute lead following a well-worked free-kick routine involving Lewis Hogg and Matt Coupe. Carey-Bertram forced the ball home from close range after Douglas had been thwarted by Danny McDonnell, but his celebrations were curtailed by referee Stephen Phipps' whistle after the Abingdon official ruled the Worcester keeper had been fouled in the process. As in their previous two outings, City made by far the better start and Scott Rogers had a strong appeal for handball inside the area turned down after his rising shot was blocked by a defender. Hogg then saw a dangerous left-wing cross headed behind by Ollie Barnes. The midfielder's subsequent corner from the opposite flank was nodded goalwards by Holland but seized by a grateful McDonnell with Carey-Bertram inches away from connecting. A sustained spell of City pressure in the opening 20 minutes was punctuated by a brace of Worcester corners, the second of which saw Rogers hack clear under pressure from Marco Adaggio six yards out. At the other end, Holland twice rose highest to meet right-wing flag kicks from Hogg, sending his first header over the bar and his second inches wide of McDonnell's left post. Carey-Bertram then sent a low shot across the face of goal after linking up with Hogg on the left. Hogg was City's stand-out performer, but then blotted his copybook in familiar fashion when he collected his third booking in five matches for meting out his own brand of retribution on Adaggio, clattering into the Worcester top-scorer just moments after receiving treatment as a result of a strong challenge from the same player. The resulting free-kick saw Perrin make his only save of the half as he fielded Jamie Price's speculative effort. It looked as though City's first-half dominance would count for nothing, but they were handed the vital breakthrough a minute before the interval. Douglas went down easily under a fairly innocuous challenge from Graham Ward on the left edge of the box and referee Stephen Phipps pointed to the spot, much to the horror of the home contingent. As he had in Saturday's clash with TeamBath, the striker displayed a cool head with the resulting penalty, rolling the ball into the right corner of McDonnell's net with the keeper diving the wrong way. Carey-Bertram went close to making it 2-0 in stoppage time with a delicate chip over McDonnell from the edge of the box, but the ball dropped just the wrong side of the crossbar with the home No 1 looking on helplessly. The final chance of the half fell to Worcester, however, but Matt Dinsmore squandered it with a shot into the side-netting after Jim Rollo's poor clearance fell at his feet.

Worcester pressed City back at the start of the second period, but were kept at arm's length until Dinsmore fired over in the 55th minute after running on to Gary Walker's through ball. Ward then tested Perrin from distance, although the full-back's shot lacked the necessary power to trouble City's veteran shot-stopper. City were struggling to exert any control on proceedings and had a let off when Adaggio, under no pressure from the defence, miscued from the edge of the area. The visitors made their first change of the afternoon on 63 minutes, with Mark Badman replacing the fading Sekani Simpson on the right of midfield. And they swiftly created their first opening of the half, Hogg volleying over the top after Carey-Bertram cushioned a header from Douglas' left-wing cross into his path. But the hosts continued to crank up the pressure and Adaggio was booked for dissent after having a penalty shout turned down before sending a header wide of Perrin's right post following a frantic passage of play inside the City box. City were being forced into increasingly desperate measures at the back with little respite in the form of forays into the Worcester half and manager John Relish sent on defender Paul Cochlin - a non-playing substitute in the first four league games - for his debut in place of goalscorer Douglas. Perrin came to the visitors' rescue when he acrobatically tipped Walker's 20-yard effort behind for a corner and produced more heroics 10 minutes from time. City were stunned when Mr Phipps awarded the second penalty of the game for Coupe's challenge on Craig Wilding, but Perrin parried Owen's weak spot-kick and then looked on from the deck as Adaggio blazed the follow-up high over the bar from six yards out with the goal at his mercy. Worcester must have sensed then that it was not going to be their day and City - with Martin Paul on for Carey-Bertram - saw out the closing minutes without much alarm to stretch their unbeaten run to four matches ahead of their home date with high-flying AFC Wimbledon.