FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
Saturday 27 September 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 486

team: Evans, Simpson, Rollo (c), Cochlin, Holland, S Jones, Hogg, Badman, Edwards (Carey-Bertram 62), Gilroy (Douglas 69), Gosling (Slocombe 74). subs not used: Paul, Rogers.
man of the match: Jamie Gosling
scorers: Gilroy (48), Cochlin (73)
bookings: Cochlin (52)
officials: K Morris (Hereford), D Rees (Gloucester), A Berrow (Lydney)

league position: n/a form: LdWLDW next match: Bognor Regis (A)

Report taken from

Second-half goals from Dave Gilroy and Paul Cochlin eased Bath City into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup at Clevedon Town’s expense. The hosts were frustrated by the BGB Premier Division underdogs in a dour first period, but ensured there was to be no upset at Twerton Park after the break. Gilroy’s expert finish three minutes into the second half broke the seasiders’ resistance and Cochlin confirmed City’s place in the hat for Monday’s draw with a close-range header. A hard-working Clevedon side offered little or no threat up front and failed to produce a save from City keeper Paul Evans in the 90 minutes. There were three changes to the home line-up that drew 1-1 with Eastleigh a week ago. Jamie Gosling was handed his first start since the opening day of the season as he replaced Martin Slocombe on the left flank. On the other wing, Lewis Hogg returned from a ban and took stomach bug victim Adam Connolly’s place in the starting XI, while Chris Holland came back from injury to partner Cochlin at the heart of the defence in the absence of the suspended Matt Coupe.

Holland had a great chance to put City ahead in the fourth minute. Clevedon captain Chris Collins conceded a corner on the right and Hogg’s kick was chested down well by the centre-back before he blazed his finish over the top from six yards out. It was all City in the opening quarter of an hour, but they struggled in the final third, with a quick brace of left-wing Gosling corners cleared easily by the visiting defence. Holland and Cochlin got in each other’s way when Gosling sent a 19th-minute free-kick over from the right, the latter looping a header onto the top of the net after Gosling’s trickery on the flank was brought to an unceremonious end by Chris Pearce. Former City youth team player Josh Brigham collected the game’s first yellow card five minutes later for a high challenge on the same player and was swiftly followed into referee Kevin Morris’ book by Matt Prosser, the striker who was on loan at Twerton Park when John Relish’s men lifted the BGB Premier Division title 17 months ago. A turgid first period briefly came to life 11 minutes before the break when Darren Edwards cushioned Steve Jones’ steepling, first-time cross from the right back to Hogg 20 yards out and the midfielder unleashed a stinging volley that flew straight at Danny Greaves. Edwards was then beaten to a neat Gosling through ball by the advancing Greaves before sending a free header from Gilroy’s right-wing centre into the Clevedon custodian’s arms from eight yards out. The half closed with Clevedon winning two corners in quick succession which failed to trouble the home defence.

Whatever Relish and Adie Britton said to their players at half-time clearly worked as City turned their dominance of possession into a goal within three minutes of the restart. Gosling whipped over a cross from the left and Gilroy finished in some style, chesting the ball down on the run before rolling the ball into the bottom corner of the net with his left foot. It was a goal the game desperately needed as it forced Clevedon, who until then had kept bodies behind the ball, into a more offensive strategy. But they had no joy as City revelled in the extra space afforded to them and threatened to run away with the tie. Greaves raced 25 yards from his line to clear from Edwards after Gilroy helped the ball on and looked back with relief as Jones’ long-range lob towards the unguarded net dropped into the Bath End. Holland and Jones had efforts blocked from a right-wing Hogg corner, while a powerful Cochlin header from the same source was stopped on the line as referee Mr Morris blew for a foul. Cochlin was booked moments beforehand for a foul just inside his own half. A lovely exchange of passes between Edwards and Gilroy ended with the goalscorer being denied by Greaves’ save low down to his right. It was Edwards’ last contribution as he made way for Danny Carey-Bertram in the 63rd minute. Clevedon’s first goal attempt of the afternoon arrived five minutes later but was hardly worth the wait, Craig Loxton miscuing horribly after a free-kick was touched to him and sending the ball out for a throw-in. The dangerous Gilroy made way for Stuart Douglas with 19 minutes to go and City made sure of their place in the third qualifying round through Cochlin soon afterwards. Jim Rollo was fouled on the left and Gosling’s deep free-kick into the box was met by Holland, who nodded the ball back across goal for his central defensive partner to power a header into the roof of Greaves’ net. Gosling, who had impressed on his return to the side, then exited the action as Relish introduced Slocombe for the closing stages. Douglas, still seeking his first goal in open play for the club, then produced a wild volley from Jones’ cross, sending the ball towards the corner flag from a decent position 12 yards out. Clevedon almost halved the deficit with eight minutes left after Rollo and Paul Evans made a hash of dealing with a Hanin Romdhane through ball and Lewis Powell nipped in between them to toe poke the ball just wide of the keeper’s left post from 18 yards. But that was as close as the away side came to a reply as City played out the final minutes in their opponents’ half without showing any real urgency to add to their advantage.