Blue Square South
Saturday 4 October 2008 - Nyewood Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 302

team: Evans, Simpson, Rollo (c), Cochlin, Holland, Connolly, Hogg, Badman (S Jones 73), Carey-Bertram (Douglas 76), Gilory, Gosling (Slocombe 70). subs not used: G Jones, Edwards.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Carey-Bertram (39), Douglas (88)
bookings: Badman (29)
officials: B Holderness (Hornchurch), I Kitchen (Chertsey), V Penfold (Addlestone)

league position: 13th form: dWLDWW next match: Aylesbury (FAC) (H)

Report taken from

With a damaging FA Cup defeat in midweek to a side two leagues below them, Bognor Regis looked like a side with something to prove against Bath City at Nyewood Road. That determination showed as the home side took the game to City over the first quarter of an hour. In particular down the right hand side, the lively Matt Hartman and Tom Clarke combined well to give Sekani Simpson plenty of work during the opening stages. As early as the first minute, Clarke cut inside Simpson to see his shot sail about a yard over the City crossbar. Yet, despite the early Bognor pressure, it was the visitors who should have gone ahead in the opening stages. Defender Sam Pearce slipped on the half way line to present City striker Dave Gilroy with a free run on goal. Gilroy took the ball to just inside the penalty area before letting his shot loose, unfortunately straight at keeper Chris Tardif. Gradually, City came back into the game. Just after the half hour mark, Danny Carey-Bertram, starting instead of Darren Edwards, latched on to a through ball and could have gone down for a penalty when tripped inside the box. Instead the striker carried on, winning a corner, which was then easily cleared by the Bognor defence. He had only eight further minutes to wait, however, before getting his name on the scoresheet. A long downfield clearance from keeper Paul Evans flicked off the shoulder of Gilroy and on to Carey-Bertram, who easily slotted the ball beyond keeper Tardiff.

With a goal just before the interval taking the wind out of the home side's sails, you might have expected the second half to be a walkover against a team that started the match second from bottom of the Blue Square South table. Instead, with the increasingly gusting breeze behind them, City struggled. With the half only five minutes old, Bognor made the move of the match. Duncan Jupp ran down the right, 20 yards into the away side's half. He slipped the ball inside to Stefan Gaisie, who in turn played it out on the left to Clarke. The winger slipped inside the City defence and his shot grazed Evans' fingertips before coming back off an upright. From then on, Bognor had plenty of possession but never looked quite the same threat. City boss John Relish made three substitutions as his team battled in the increasing rain and windswept conditions. It was the third of those, Stuart Douglas, coming on for the tiring Carey-Bertram, who proved the final trump card. Again a ball played deep out of defence was flicked on by the lively Gilroy. It fell on the second bounce to Douglas, who raced on and took his finish well to give Tardif no chance.