FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
Saturday 11 October 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 577

team: Evans, Simpson (Slocombe 66), Cochlin, Holland, Connolly, Hogg, Badman, Carey-Bertram (Edwards 85), Gilroy, Gosling (Douglas 64). subs not used: S Jones, G Jones, Paul, Coupe.
man of the match: Jim Rollo
scorers: none
bookings: Evans (51), Slocombe (67), Rollo (79)
officials: J Busby (Wallingford), R Cox (Banbury), M Treadwell (Banbury)

league position: n/a form: WLDWWL next match: Fisher Ath (H)

Report taken from

Bath City crashed out of the FA Cup at the third qualifying round stage with a disappointing 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Aylesbury United. The visitors ply their trade in Division 1 Midlands of the BGB Southern League, two steps below City, but matched their hosts for much of the match. Chances for both sides were sporadic, but Glen Hawkins tapped in Craig Henney’s low cross 18 minutes after the restart for the winning goal. Darren Edwards and Dave Gilroy forced clearances off the line in the closing stages as City pushed for an equaliser, while Lewis Hogg’s free-kick nearly earned a replay at the death, but came back off the woodwork.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors as City right-back Sekani Simpson was caught on the ball and visiting striker Henney earned a corner, which was headed into the side-netting by Aylesbury captain Nick Leach. City responded well, with Gilroy and Jamie Gosling combining well on the left, but unable to find a way through. A poor Gosling shot after 11 minutes was only saved from going for a throw-in by Adam Connolly, whose cross was then claimed by diminutive Aylesbury keeper Tom Vincent. Two minutes later, Vincent fumbled another Connolly cross and the ball fell to Hogg, but he could not get a shot in. At the other end, Henney nearly raced through on the City goal, but keeper Paul Evans was out sharply and squeezed the ball away. City’s best chance of the half fell to Connolly, whose curling shot from inside the penalty area was comfortably caught by Vincent on 15 minutes. Gosling continued to cause problems on the City left, earning a corner midway through the half after escaping the United defence, but the ball was cleared. There were danger signs for City on the half-hour when Sam Swonnell crossed towards an unmarked Glen Hawkins, only for the pass to sail over the Aylesbury striker’s head. City showed signs of promise, with Hogg heading weakly at the keeper from a Gilroy cross, but the visitors continued to find enough space to give cause for concern among the Twerton Park faithful. Simpson ended a great run with a disappointing cross as the first half went into injury time, while Hawkins escaped on the Aylesbury right just before the half-time whistle, but could not produce a telling pass.

City started the second period with more purpose and dominated the opening five minutes, but were unable to open up the United defence. A weak Paul Cochlin header put Evans under pressure and the keeper was adjudged to have carried the ball over the byline for a corner, his protests about the decision earning him a yellow card. A long Hogg pass allowed Danny Carey-Bertram the chance to test the keeper after 10 minutes, but his left-foot shot was saved. Four minutes later, he shot well wide after a good turn on the edge of the box. The game began to open up and a fluent Aylesbury move sent Henney racing into the penalty area from the left, and his cross was converted by Hawkins to put the visitors in front. City responded with two substitutions, Stuart Douglas and Martin Slocombe coming on for Gosling and Simpson as the hosts switched to a 3-4-3 formation. Slocombe was shown a yellow card within two minutes of making his entrance. Carey-Bertram and Gilroy combined after 74 minutes to give Gilroy a shooting chance, and his low left-foot effort forced a good save from Vincent. Gilroy saw two more shots miss the target, while Henney failed to test Evans as Aylesbury created space on the break. With less than two minutes of the 90 remaining, City came close to equalising twice in quick succession. First substitute Darren Edwards, who was on in place of Carey-Bertram, saw Liam Smyth clear his effort off the line and then Gilroy’s close-range shot was stopped by a combination of Leach and his goalkeeper. Although that may have seemed like City’s last chance, there was more to come as Mark Badman found himself in acres of space in the middle of the pitch, only to give the ball away, and Douglas then earned a free-kick in a dangerous position. With the game now having entered its fourth minute of injury time, Hogg stepped up to take the set-piece and saw his curling right-foot strike come down off the crossbar just the wrong side of the line. The final whistle sounded moments later to send the Ducks through to the final qualifying round with their eighth consecutive win in all competitions.