Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 1 November 2008 - Woodspring Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 428

team: P Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson (R Evans 90), Badman, Edwards (Douglas 82), Gilroy (Slocombe 85), Hogg. subs not used: Paul, Gosling.
man of the match: Mark Badman
scorers: Gilroy (49)
bookings: Badman (90)
officials: A Davies, S Wales, P Heywood

league position: 11th form: LWWLWW next match: Salisbury (SS) (H)

Report taken from

Dave Gilroy took advantage of a defensive error to score his first league goal of the season and give Bath City a 1-0 win at the Woodspring Stadium. City had to withstand late Weston pressure but held on to maintain 11th place in the Blue Square South.

After a quiet start, in which City's best opening was a low Gethin Jones cross, Weston nearly took the lead in the seventh minute when a spectacular Mark McKeever volley beat Paul Evans in the City goal but bounced down off the crossbar. Following up, Darren Mullings controlled his volley well but it went wide of Evans' goal. Ashan Holgate found himself in the referee's notebook following a challenge on Sekani Simpson after 10 minutes and moments later Simpson headed just over from a Darren Edwards cross. At the other end, McKeever had two chances to put the Seagulls ahead but saw one shot go wide and another blocked by the City defence. Holgate was lucky not to find himself being shown a second yellow card and heading for an early bath midway through the half after bringing down Edwards, who shot wide after being played through my Lewis Hogg minutes later. After an exciting first 25 minutes, the game settled down and the closest City came to going ahead was a long-range effort from captain Jim Rollo which narrowly cleared the crossbar. Weston could have taken a half-time lead when McKeever again found himself with space to get in a shot, but his effort was deflected and Evans made a comfortable save.

City took the lead four minutes into the second half when Charlie Comyn-Platt’s poor pass across to keeper Ryan Northmore allowed Gilroy to beat Northmore to the ball, round the helpless keeper and tap into the unguarded net. The visitors kept up the pressure, forcing several corners, but it was a long ball that nearly allowed them to double the lead. Mark Badman launched a pass from well inside his own half and a slip by home right-back Cedric Abraham gave Gilroy a shooting chance, but his lob was too high. Weston made a double substitution with 15 minutes remaining as they looked to get back into the game and City had to deal with several dangerous balls into their penalty area during the closing stages. Marc McGregor, Andrew Gurney and Holgate all had chances to rescue a point for the hosts, while City posed problems on the break, Adam Connolly’s effort deflected wide and substitute Stuart Douglas’ close-range header not finding the target. The hosts ran out of ideas as the game drew to a close and City held on for the three points.