Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 8 November 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L1-3 attendance: 512

team: P Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Hogg, Edwards (Douglas 69), Gilroy, Slocombe (R Evans 52). subs not used: S Jones, Paul.
man of the match: Gethin Jones
scorers: Connolly (89)
bookings: Hogg (26), Gilroy (37), G Jones (67)
officials: S Phipps (Abingdon), I Kavanagh (Winchester), P Buckeridge (Eastleigh)

league position: 11th form: WLWWLL next match: Chelmsford (A)

Report taken from

Adam Connolly’s first goal for Bath City was little consolation as they fell to a disappointing defeat at home to Bromley. Warren McBean gave the visitors an early lead and Luke l’Anson made it 2-0 at half-time, despite City enjoying plenty of possession and space in midfield. The hosts struggled to break Bromley down and McBean’s second goal midway through the second half finished off the game. City improved over the closing stages and Connolly’s goal was no less than they deserved, but it came too late to affect the outcome.

The match got off to a disastrous start for City when, with less than two minutes played, Nic McDonnell flicked on a cross for striker partner McBean to force the ball home. The hosts responded well, finding space in midfield and earning two free-kicks near the right-hand corner of the penalty area, but Martin Slocombe’s deliveries failed to trouble the Bromley defence. The visitors showed after 10 minutes that they would continue to be a threat with their direct approach, McBean racing on to a ball over the top but dragging his shot across Paul Evans in the City goal. Lewis Hogg and Adam Connolly in central midfield continued to enjoy space, but the Bromley back-line was well organised and offered no easy way through. Despite having less of the play, Bromley still looked the more likely to score and McBean volleyed wide after Ryan Hall’s cross had not been dealt with. Hogg picked up a yellow card for a foul on Liam Norval, while Slocombe’s powerful cross from the left was well held by visiting keeper Gareth Williams. Bromley doubled their lead on 36 minutes, catching City out on the counter-attack after a corner at the other end. McBean played l’Anson through on goal and he finished well past Evans. Dave Gilroy’s first significant involvement in the match came five minutes before the break when he picked up a yellow card for arguing after an offside decision had been given against City, despite the ball having been delivered from a throw-in. City had their first shot on goal late on in the half when captain Jim Rollo found Hogg on the edge of the box, but his shot was easily saved.

A bright start to the second period came to nothing for the hosts, with only Gethin Jones’ low shot troubling Williams. Rollo meanwhile was having a torrid time up against former Crystal Palace player Ashley-Paul Robinson and was lucky to see him shoot wide after the City skipper had misjudged a cross-field ball. Bromley made the game safe when McDonnell’s header came down off the crossbar and McBean was left with a simple finish. City kept trying to play football and substitute Richard Evans and Hogg both had half-chances. The final five minutes saw the hosts pile on the pressure and replacement Stuart Douglas blazed over after Gilroy’s header had been saved one-handed by Williams. Bromley’s defence was finally breached in the 89th minute when Connolly scored from the edge of the box. The announcement of four minutes of stoppage time offered some hope but City could not find a way through again.