Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 15 November - The Sports & Athletic Centre - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W3-2 attendance: 1256

team: P Evans, G Jones, Slocombe, Coupe, Holland, Rollo (c), Simpson, S Jones, Douglas (Edwards 82), Hogg, R Evans. subs not used: Gilroy, Paul, Connolly.
man of the match: Stuart Douglas
scorers: R Evans (39), Douglas (46), G Jones (60)
bookings: Coupe (12), Douglas (57), Simpson (77)
dismissal: P Evans (72)
officials: A Parker, P Howard, B Morass

league position: 11th form: LWWLLW next match: Frome Town (A)

Report taken from

Ten-man Bath City produced a heroic performance to claim maximum points against table-topping Chelmsford. Already ravaged by injury, the visitors had keeper Paul Evans sent off in the 71st minute after he had clashed with David Rainford, who was rushing to get the ball out of the net after reducing the deficit from the penalty spot. But midfielder Steve Jones donned the gloves as City held firm to complete a remarkable victory against the league leaders. They had fallen behind midway though the first half but levelled through Richard Evans, on his full league debut. Stuart Douglas then struck just 10 seconds into the second half to put City ahead and Gethin Jones nodded home from close range on the hour to complete an amazing turnaround. City, who were without the suspended Mark Badman, were forced to name a defensive line-up and only four substitutes due to a host of injuries. Captain Jim Rollo started in an unfamiliar role in central midfield alongside Steve Jones, who was playing despite a broken toe, and Lewis Hogg.

City's defensive resolve was tested right from the first whistle as Chelmsford forced two corners and a free-kick inside the opening two minutes. However, it was the visitors who had the first chance of note in the sixth minute when a deep free-kick caused chaos in the Chelmsford box. The ball eventually broke to Gethin Jones but his close-range shot was kept out by the legs of keeper Danny Gay. Ricky Holmes was posing City a problem down the left and Matt Coupe became the first player in the book when he brought the winger down when in full flow. And the visitors had a massive escape when, from the resulting free-kick, Kevin James' cross was headed against the upright by Oliver Berquez with Paul Evans left stranded. Chelmsford had plenty of pace down the flanks, as James demonstrated when he burst past Martin Slocombe and drilled in a shot which Evans did well to save at his near post. However, it was to prove a temporary respite as, from Justin Miller's corner, David Rainford rose above the defence to head Chelsmford into the lead, despite Richard Evans' best attempts to clear off the line. Paul Evans had to make a smart low save to keep out a Berquez shot in the 27th minute as City found themselves on the back foot. However, they did put together a good spell of pressure and were rewarded with a shock equaliser in the 39th minute. Hogg pinged a deep free-kick from the halfway line towards Chris Hollland but, as the defender went to head it back across goal, the ball was inexplicably handled by Miller. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and while Douglas's penalty was well saved by Gay, Evans was on hand to drill the loose ball into the net.

The second half began in sensational fashion as, with just 10 seconds on the clock, the ball was played through to Douglas and, after his first attempt was saved at the near post, the striker fired home the rebound to put City ahead. It could have been 3-1 a minute later as Sekani Simpson whipped in a dangerous cross from the right which was just too far ahead of the onrushing Hogg. Chelmsford were stunned but almost got back on level terms in the 49th minute thanks to a great bit of skill from Berquez. A rushed clearance from keeper Paul Evans dropped to the home midfielder who immediately volleyed towards the open goal but his shot from 35 yards hit the top of the bar. However, the home side had been clearly rattled by City, who managed to extend their lead on the hour mark. Richard Evans' well-flighted corner found Matt Coupe at the back post and he headed back across the six-yard box, where Gethin Jones was on hand to nod home. Chelmsford rallied and it needed a couple of fantastic defensive blocks from the oustanding Holland and Coupe to keep them at bay. But the hosts were given a lifeline in the 71st minute when Sekani Simpson caught Keeling in the chest with a high boot and the referee pointed to the spot. Rainford rifled his shot into the top corner but, as he attemped to retrieve the ball, he clashed with keeper Paul Evans and went down. After lengthy consultation with his assistant, the referee showed the red card to Evans, who reacted angrily and threw his shirt and gloves to the floor. With no substitute keeper on the bench, Steve Jones had to go in goal but he was rarely tested as the City defence stood firm, their only major scare coming when Rainford glanced a header narrowly wide. The visitors also had to withstand five minutes of injury time but Jones got behind long-range efforts from Miller and Jeff Minton to secure an outstanding victory.