Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 29 November 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 531

team: Perrin, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman (Rogers 90), Douglas (Edwards 68), Gilroy (Paul 85), R Evans. subs not used: S Jones.
man of the match: Chris Holland
scorers: Holland (8)
bookings: Connolly (40)
officials: C Powell (Poole), J Fortescue (Bournemouth), R Taylor (Weymouth)

league position: 11th form: LLWLWW next match: Braintree (A)

Report taken from

Bath City claimed only their second home league win of the season thanks to an early Chris Holland header. The centre-back powered home from Richard Evans’ corner in the eighth minute to score his first league goal of the season. City controlled the remainder of the first half but Maidenhead came out fighting after the break and caused some nervous moments in the home defence. Lee Newman failed to connect with the goal at his mercy and Patrick Sappleton hit the crossbar, but City held on to make it five wins in their last seven Blue Square South matches.

Maidenhead right-back Bobby Behzadi had the first effort of the game but fired his shot well over the bar after five minutes. Two minutes later, Evans saw his shot blocked as City pushed forward and the ball eventually fell to Stuart Douglas, whose shot was pushed round the post by visiting keeper Shane Gore. The resulting Evans corner was met by the head of Holland to give City the perfect start. City’s goal seemed to take the life out of the game and, over the next 25 minutes, only a Gilroy shot from a tight angle and a blocked free-kick for each side threatened to change the scoreline. Both teams struggled to keep hold of the ball and Maidenhead rarely troubled the City defence, although Steve Perrin, deputising in the City goal for the suspended Paul Evans, had to be alert to push a Dale Binns cross out for a corner 10 minute before half-time. Binns nearly ran through on goal moments later from Manny Williams’ pass, but Sekani Simpson arrived in time to make the block. The only remaining incident of a drab first period was a yellow card for Adam Connolly.

A more lively United side emerged after the interval and they tested Perrin inside the opening minute, Newman connecting with Binns’ free-kick, but he was unable to find a way past the well-positioned keeper. The game became more open and City had chances to extend their lead, Douglas unable to find a team-mate with a pull-back from the byline and Holland coming close to his second, again from an Evans corner. Meanwhile, Maidenhead captain Ashley Nicholls headed over after arriving late to meet a cross from the increasingly dangerous Binns after eight minutes of the second period. City were lucky to hold on to their lead when Perrin came out of his area but could only head the ball to United substitute Rocky Baptiste. He was stopped by the home defence, but the ball fell to Ben Surey, whose shot was well saved by the recovering Perrin. City raced to the other end and Sekani Simpson’s powerful low shot came off Douglas but went just wide. The game settled down for the next 15 minutes as City regained control, although they were then fortunate to see Newman fail to make significant contact with the ball two yards out from Binns’ shot across goal. The final scare for City came in the 88th minute when Sappleton’s long-range volley hit the top of the bar on the way over. Substitutes Darren Edwards and Martin Paul almost combined three minutes into injury time to give a spectacular finish to an otherwise workmanlike City performance. Edwards’ overhead kick sent Paul through on goal, but his lob fell the wrong side of the crossbar and the final whistle soon followed.