Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 6 December 2008 - Cressing Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W4-0 attendance: 507

team: Perrin, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman, Douglas (Edwards 45), Gilroy (Rogers 80), R Evans. subs not used: Hogg, S Jones, Slocombe.
man of the match: Darren Edwards
scorers: Holland (52), G Jones (62), Edwards (65, pen 82)
bookings: none
officials: P Forrester, K Theobald, M Potkins

league position: 11th form: LWLWWW next match: Torquay (FAT) (A)

Report taken from

A game of two halves is a much overused cliché but rarely can two 45-minute periods of football have offered such a contrast as Bath City’s amazing Blue Square South victory at Braintree Town today. The first half belonged totally to the home side as they overran the City midfield so easily. A knife cutting through butter, particularly on such a freezing cold day, would have been a poor analogy.

Within the first four minutes, Braintree could easily have been three goals up. A long-range shot from Mark Jones was pushed behind by City keeper Steve Perrin. There then followed a good move down the left between Danny Hockton and Louis Riddle before James Hawes shot narrowly wide. Finally, a poor back pass left Perrin stranded but, from a narrow angle, Sean Marks put the ball into the side-netting. Still it was all Braintree as City struggled to get out of their own half. Twice Riddle had good chances, the first skidding across the box and wide of the goal without any player getting a touch and the second deflected behind for a corner. On 17 minutes Braintree did have the ball in the net, only for the goal to be disallowed by referee Mr Forrester despite the protests of the home side. City had failed to defend a far-post corner and Marks converted it, bundling over Perrin in the process. The home side poured forward, looking threatening with every attack and with further chances falling to Marks. City only began to come into the game in the final 10 minutes of the first half when Dave Gilroy had two shots that led to corners, one deflected and one pushed away by the keeper. However, they failed to take advantage of those meagre opportunities and could count themselves fortunate to go in at half-time on level terms.

The second period was such a contrast the group of City fans behind the goal could have been forgiven for pinching themselves in disbelief at the turnaround in fortunes. Part of the difference came with City replacing an ill Stuart Douglas with Darren Edwards, the other through a more determined attitude. The breakthrough came on 52 minutes. A Richard Evans corner came to Chris Holland and the defender’s firm header skidded through a melee of players and into the Braintree net for his second goal in as many games. City doubled their lead just after the hour mark when a free-kick taken by captain Jim Rollo just inside the Braintree half was fired in by Gethin City were 3-0 up minutes later. This time, the lively Gilroy raced on to a through ball down the left hand side before crossing for Edwards to head home. By now, managerless Braintree were in disarray, a state added to by being reduced to 10 men on 70 minutes when Micky Shin was sent off for elbowing Sekani Simpson. The icing on the cake came seven minutes from the end when there was a handball in the home area and Edwards stepped up to score his second and City’s fourth from the penalty spot.