Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 20 December 2008 - Park View Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L1-2 attendance: 621

team: Perrin, Rollo (c), Slocombe, Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Hogg, Rogers, Edwards (Douglas 30), Gilroy, R Evans. subs not used: S Jones, Gibb, Collier.
man of the match: Scott Rogers
scorers: Gilroy (65)
bookings: Rogers (31), Hogg (33)
officials: D Belbin (Staines), L Pinto Nunes (Kingston), R Hailstone (Aldershot)

league position: 10th form: LWWWLL next match: Dorchester (H)

Report taken from

As so many times this season, Bath City began another match where the major talking point at kick-off was not the potential action on the pitch but another sequence of injuries and the potential disruption to Adie Britton’s team. Mark Badman’s absence for the trip to Welling United was already anticipated - as was Paul Evans' due to his long term recovery from surgery. But additional absentees in Gethin Jones (groin) and Sekani Simpson (fluid on the knee) meant not only a change of personnel but also shape to the side. Consequently, City reverted to their more familiar 4-4-2 formation rather than starting with Stuart Douglas as the lone striker; a shape which has been favoured of late for away games.

There was also something familiar about the opening minutes as City, notoriously slow starters, came under early pressure from United. Several times the visitors were exposed down the right with Welling’s best moves all coming down that flank through Lee Protheroe and Sanchez Ming. Gradually, City began to come into the game and were twice unlucky when Dave Gilroy was unable to take advantage of crosses from Darren Edwards, the first time through a failure to control the ball and the second when he could not to turn quickly enough to get his shot in. The best of the City’s early chances however, came out of virtually nothing. Lewis Hogg, from just inside the Welling half, looked up to see keeper Clark Masters off his line. Hogg then attempted an audacious 30-yard lob which the tall keeper only managed to tip over his crossbar at the last minute. City’s afternoon then fell apart in the space of just nine minutes as Welling hit two killer blows. The first came as the nimble footed Moses Ademola skipped past two lunging tackles before squaring the ball for Charlie Sheringham - the son of former England star Teddy - to fire home. While the visitors were still trying to regroup, the second goal came on 26 minutes. A free-kick taken from midfield came to Loui Fazakerley, who, running into the box, unmarked hit an impressive shot beyond the City defence and the diving Steve Perrin. City could have pulled one back within minutes when Gilroy headed narrowly wide of the goal. Britton's injury list then increased when, after an incident in the Welling penalty area, Edwards emerged with blood streaming from a head wound, necessitating his replacement by Douglas. As half-time loomed, the match became somewhat scrappy, with Scott Rogers receiving a yellow card for pulling down Lee Blackburn and, no surprise, Hogg being booked for dissent.

In the second period, the game began to open up and chances fell to both sides. On the hour mark Perrin was called on to make a good low diving save to his right followed on the break by Gilroy shaking off his defensive marker only to fire straight at Masters in the home goal. Gradually City began to exert more pressure and should have pulled one back on 64 minutes when Douglas got free but again the shot was virtually straight at Masters. City finally got their reward just a minute later when a Richard Evans free-kick came back off the Welling crossbar for Matt Coupe to score from close range. Within seconds of the restart Gilroy should have equalised, but, having got in front of the home defence, he fired wide. In the closing stages, just as you might have expected City to power forward in search of an equaliser, it was United who went closest with two golden opportunities. The first came when a long ball was lobbed forward for Sheringham to chase and as it bounced over Perrin, it fortunately evaded the forward and went behind for a goal kick. Finally, right on the 90-minute mark Perrin came for a ball flicked on from a Welling throw in, failed to get there and Fazakerley, unmarked, squandered a chance to get his second of the afternoon.