Blue Square Conference South
Friday 26 December 2008 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 695

team: Perrin, G Jones (Slocombe 65), Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Badman, Rogers, Connolly, Douglas (Edwards 77), Gilroy, Hogg (R Evans 84). subs not used: S Jones, Gibb.
man of the match: Dave Gilroy
scorers: Gilroy (25, 39)
bookings: Hogg (20)
officials: to follow

league position: 9th form: WWWLLW next match: Dorchester (A)

Report taken from

For the first 25 minutes of this match there was little festive cheer on display at Twerton Park as both Bath City and Dorchester Town looked to be suffering from a post-Christmas hangover with the ball being aimlessly punted around the pitch. True, Dorchester had a couple of free-kicks in dangerous positions but neither were well taken and both drifted behind for goal kicks. Out of nothing, City decided to change all that. Gethin Jones put an accurate ball into the box for Chris Holland and the tall centre half knocked the ball down for Dave Gilroy to stab home. It proved to be the turning point of the game. From then on City poured forwards with a new-found confidence. Just five minutes later, the impressive Jones gathered a free-kick, taken by Holland just inside the visitors’ half, only to see his shot turned behind for a corner. Taken by Lewis Hogg, the ball was then headed goalwards by Holland only to be palmed away by Town keeper Gareth Stewart. Just minutes later it was goalscorer Gilroy who latched on to a ball played over the top. Again his shot was pushed behind for a corner and again it was Holland with the header, only this time just over the Dorchester crossbar. At this stage Town looked shell-shocked but were to be further stunned six minutes before the interval. Stuart Douglas managed to get round the back of the Dorchester defence and, racing on, put in a good shot that agonisingly came back off the underside of the crossbar. Gilroy, following up, made no mistake, firing across goal for his and City’s second of the afternoon.

From then on it should have been plain sailing. Yet in the second period City failed to capitalise on their lead by virtue of both Town’s improved effort and from some poor finishing. Twice former Tiverton Town player and old City adversary Jamie Mudge saw shots sail over the bar and Holland made a last-minute tackle as Nick Crittenden was lining up a shot. Yet Steve Perrin in the City goal did not have his first save to make until the 67th minute – a long range shot from Ronayne Marsh-Brown straight into the keeper’s hands. In terms of finishing, the misses were shared between Douglas and Gilroy. The former squandered a fine chance on 71 minutes when again he got round the visitors defence down the right-hand side, delayed either shooting or passing to Gilroy and ended up with a tame cross-cum-shot easily taken by keeper Stewart. Four minutes later, after good work by Douglas, the forward was upended in the penalty area and referee Andrew Newell from Yate had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Gilroy, who had yet to miss a penalty since joining City two seasons ago, put his effort too close to the keeper and it was easily saved. Further chances fell to City in the closing stages but Gilroy’s two first-half goals proved more than sufficient to see off surprisingly lacklustre opposition. The only unfortunate aspect of the afternoon was Lewis Hogg picking up his second yellow card in consecutive games. The midfielder only narrowly avoided a red card after twice more being spoken to by the referee.