Blue Square Conference South
Thursday 1 January 2009 - Avenue Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 759

team: Perrin, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Badman, Hogg, Connolly, Douglas (Edwards 70), Gilroy (S Jones 84), R Evans (Rogers 90). subs not used: Gibb, Slocombe.
man of the match: Mark Badman
scorers: Holland (58), Edwards (pen 88)
bookings: none
dismissal: Badman (84)
officials: S Robbins (Bristol), I Smith (Eastleigh), D Moran (Tidworth)

league position: 9th form: WWLLWW next match: B Stortford (H)

Report taken from

Bath City completed their first double over Dorchester Town in 19 years on a cold, grey New Year’s Day in the county town. However, the first half gave little indication of the fireworks to come as both teams served up 45 minutes of unremarkable football with the ball spending a high proportion of its time either being hoofed into the air or coming down from it. The only virtue was that the game was actually taking place at all given an early-morning pitch inspection was followed by another just an hour before kick-off, leaving the large contingent of travelling supporters from Bath wondering if they would see a match at all.

Dorchester’s best spell came about a quarter of an hour into the match when City summer signing target Nick Crittenden had a goalbound shot blocked by Jim Rollo. For the visitors, Dave Gilroy and Stuart Douglas both had half chances, but the fact that neither keeper had a save to make indicated the paucity of real opportunities for both sides. The second period was a different story as the match moved from the mundane to bordering on exciting.

City signalled their intentions with the half just a minute old when a throw-in from Lewis Hogg went over Douglas’ head and fell for Gilroy, who failed to collect cleanly, the ball bouncing off his shin from a good scoring position. Within minutes, City were on the attack again with Adam Connolly seeing a long-range shot go well wide before a Richard Evans free-kick was pushed behind for a corner by Ryan Moss. City’s opener came on 58 minutes and was down to good work from Hogg. From distance on the left- hand side, Hogg put in a powerful dipping volley which rebounded back off the Dorchester upright to Chris Holland on the edge of the area. Despite Holland’s shot hitting the ground, it still had sufficient pace to beat the out-of-position Stewart. From that point on the game came to life. Jamie Gleeson was booked for a scything tackle on Gethin Jones, followed by substitute Mitchell Nicholson for a foul on Matt Coupe. Darren Edwards replaced Douglas in the City attack and instantly looked lively with a wide shot after only being on the field for three minutes. Dorchester tried hard to get back in the game with Ronayne Marsh Browne, clearly their best player, working hard down the left and an otherwise surprisingly quiet Jamie Mudge – the hosts’ leading goalscorer - at last getting in a shot. The climax came with six minutes to go. Gilroy collected an Edwards cross well before tangling with Roy O’Brien in the Dorchester defence. With City appealing for a penalty, the ball was played out to the right where Mark Badman fouled Kevin Hill. It was an innocuous-looking challenge but Badman then exchanged harsh words with referee Mr Robbins and was instantly dismissed. With City down to 10 men, manager Adie Britton changed the formation, taking off Gilroy and bringing on Steve Jones to shore up the midfield, leaving Edwards as the lone striker. Minutes later, Edwards gave keeper Stewart a slight nudge which took the keeper just outside his area. Edwards appealed for a free kick alleging Stewart had carried the ball over the 18-yard line. While the referee waved play on Edwards and the keeper ran back to the centre of the pitch but, as they did so, Stewart was seen to push Edwards to the ground. Mr Robbins had no hesitation in awarding a penalty and the keeper was lucky to escape with just a yellow card. With Edwards converting the spot-kick, City collected all three points, giving their manager his seventh win out his first 10 league games in charge.