Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 24 January 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 676

team: Perrin, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Hogg, Edwards (Douglas 72), Gilroy (S Jones 88), R Evans (Slocombe 86). subs not used: Gibb.
man of the match: Richard Evans
scorers: Own Goal (1)
bookings: G Jones (28)
officials: A Davies (Southampton), A Raggett (Weston SM), C Wade (Bournemouth)

league position: 7th form: LLWWDW next match: Eastleigh (A)

Report taken from

A first-minute own goal was enough to give Bath City their fourth successive home victory. St Albans keeper Paul Bastock produced a string of saves to prevent City from extending their lead, while the visitors rarely looked like equalising.

City took the lead after 23 seconds, although there was an element of fortune about the goal. Dave Gilroy escaped down the left and his teasing cross was touched away by Bastock in the visiting goal as Darren Edwards waited behind him. The ball fell to Sekani Simpson, whose shot was poor, but the attempted clearance rebounded off St Albans midfielder Adam Everitt and flew into the net. City failed to make the most of their flying start and the visitors began to enjoy more possession, although neither side could fashion a shooting chance for the next half an hour. With the referee’s whistle regularly interrupting play, both sides could not take advantage of a number of promising free-kicks. Ben Martin and Paul Hakim were booked for the frustrated visitors, while Gethin Jones also saw yellow following a fracas involving most of the players. City twice came close to extending their lead, first when Adam Connolly collected the ball in midfield and tested Bastock from distance, the St Albans keeper grabbing the ball at the second attempt. Then, five minutes before half-time, a Richard Evans free-kick was met by Chris Holland’s towering leap, but Bastock pulled off an impressive one-handed save. The ball fell to Edwards, whose shot came back off the post. City also had appeals for a penalty turned down when Gilroy was brushed off the ball by Martin.

Four minutes after half-time, Bastock was again on hand to keep the difference down to one goal, saving well from Edwards’ deflected shot following Simpson’s clever pass. James Fisher became the third visiting player to be shown a yellow card and, moments later, an unmarked Edwards headed over from Evans’ cross. Edwards did find the back of the net five minutes later from a delicate Lewis Hogg pass, but the City striker was well offside. Evans continued to trouble St Albans on the left flank and he saw a low shot saved by Bastock. Despite several promising positions on the counter-attack in the final 15 minutes, City struggled to produce a clear-cut chance, Holland heading over from an Evans free-kick and Connolly firing straight at the keeper after combining well with Gilroy. St Albans had to wait until injury time for their first significant efforts on the City goal, substitute Danny Charge unable to place his header wide of home keeper Steve Perrin and Hakim shooting over from a free-kick. An equaliser at this late stage would have been an injustice to City and they survived the five minutes that the referee added on to complete a 1-0 victory.