Blue Square Conference South
Tuesday 27 January 2009 - Sliverlake Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-2 attendance: 507

team: Perrin, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland (Simpson 64), Badman, Connolly, Hogg, Edwards (Douglas 75), Gilroy, R Evans. subs not used: Slocombe, S Jones.
man of the match: Matt Coupe
scorers: none
bookings: Hogg (85)
officials: to follow

league position: 9th form: LWWDWL next match: newport (H)

Report taken from

Two set pieces, two goals. That was the tale of Tuesday’s game at the Silverlake Stadium as Bath City’s recent revival came to an end. Having lost to TeamBath last weekend Eastleigh were clearly determined not to suffer another setback and Iain Baird’s side were good value for their victory, scoring twice within the space of six second-half minutes. Former City player Tom Jordan, the son of legendary striker Joe, broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute when he nodded in Ashley Carew’s corner after hesitancy in the visiting defence. Six minutes later it was another whipped-in corner from Carew, on loan from Coca-Cola League 2 side Barnet, that exposed the City defence. The ball broke free to Jordan’s fellow central defender Aaron Martin – another giant in the physically imposing home side – and he stabbed in from close range. “The second goal was a definite foul and it came from a corner that shouldn’t have been given,” said City keeper Steve Perrin, who felt he was obstructed. “They say goalkeepers are overprotected but I got nothing all night when they piled into me. I was very disappointed with that decision because had it stayed at 1-0 we were still in with a great chance.”

Chastened by Saturday’s 3-1 setback against the University of Bath side promotion-chasing Eastleigh began with a purpose and straight away took the game to City forcing two corners in the opening two minutes. From the second the clearance only reached the dangerous Peter Adeniyi lurking on the edge of the penalty area but he flashed his volley over. Eastleigh continued to press, enjoying the majority of possession and after a sustained period of pressure in the 10th minute Adeniyi’s midfield partner Anthony Riviere saw his rasping shot from 25 yards drift just wide. It took City 15 minutes to win their first corner, Matt Coupe heading wide after rising above Eastleigh skipper Jordan. It was back in his defensive role, though, that Coupe earned his money just eight minutes later when he made a great goal-saving tackle as Riviere shaped to shoot after being put clean through. With the amount of home pressure, plus their aerial dominance from set pieces, it seemed only a matter of time before Eastleigh made the breakthrough but Coupe and his fellow defenders held firm and ironically it was City who had the ball in the net first. A swift counter-attack in the 35th minute saw Dave Gilroy head the ball in from close range after good work by striker partner Darren Edwards but the goal was ruled out for off-side, much to City’s annoyance. But the disallowed goal gave the visitors renewed hope and City finished the half on top. A minute later Richard Evans whipped in a tempting cross that Edwards headed just wide as City looked for the first goal. And yet just before half-time Eastleigh were almost gifted the lead. The dangerous Carew skipped down the right wing and whipped in a superb cross which Lewis Hogg almost put through his own net, his clearing header just drifting past the post.

But they made the breakthrough midway through the second period and City suffered a further blow in between the hosts’ two goals when central defensive rock Chris Holland exited the action with a knee injury.