Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 28 February 2009 - The Camrose - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 477

team: P Evans, G Jones, Rollo (Douglas 82), Coupe, Holland, S Jones (Rogers 74), Simpson (R Evans 59), Hogg, Edwards, Gilroy, Badman. subs not used: Slocombe, Caldwell.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: none
bookings: Holland (56), Douglas (85), R Evans (87)
officials: to follow

league position: 8th form: LWLLWL next match: B Stortford (H)

Report taken from

Bath City suffered a surprise defeat at lowly Basingstoke and as against Hampton and Richmond last Saturday, by a single controversial penalty decision. The only goal came in the 56th minute when a deep cross from Matt Warner sailed over the heads of City's Chris Holland and Basingstoke's Ryan Stephens. As Holland turned to chase the ball the two players looked to tangle and referee Tim Robinson pointed to the penalty spot. After some hesitation Phil Ruggles sent keeper Paul Evans the wrong way and the home side were surprisingly in front.

Earlier, despite a generally lacklustre first half, what chances there were had clearly fallen to City. However, this was never likely to be a footballing spectacle as on a hard and bumpy pitch the ball seemed to spend as much time either in the air or going into touch as you would find on an average day at The Rec. In the opening minutes it was the home side that showed first. Ryan Stephens had a speculative shot blocked by his own player, Ruggles, followed by Tom Williamson shooting narrowly wide when City failed to clear a long throw from Adam Aimable. City gradually came into the match with a chance just before the quarter hour mark when Lewis Hogg took advantage of a mistake by Stoke's Mitchell-Coop, jinked his way past two defenders but with only Ross Ketteridge in the home goal to beat put his shot well over the crossbar. Hogg continued to be the most impressive City player on the park and again came close to scoring with 27 minutes gone. With Darren Edwards fouled by Aimable some 20 yards out and to the left of the penalty box, Hogg hit a curving free-kick which Ketteridge did well to get to, putting the ball behind for a corner. City continued to have the best of the chances and with five minutes of the half to go this time it was returnee Mark Badman with a curving shot from 18 yards which again Ketteridge, diving to his left, put behind for a corner. Holland then went close from the set piece, his header going narrowly over the crossbar.

The penalty early in the second half then seemed to have a major impact on City’s confidence and despite having further chances they rarely played with any fluency. Holland had an opportunity to score when he headed a free-kick from Hogg into keeper Ketteridge's arms just after the hour mark. To try and get back into the game manager Adie Britton made a series of substitutions with first Richard Evans replacing Sekani SImposon followed by Scott Rogers and then Stuart Douglas joining the fray. With 12 minutes to go Hogg had a good shot from insid the penalty box knocked to one side by the Stoke keeper before being cleared by the defence. Finally with only five minutes left came the incident that incensed the City players. Edwards looked to have been clearly fouled in the penalty area and as the forward sat up, arms outstretched, Mr Robinson waved play on. The decision had a profound effect. Bath had two more bookings in quick succession, both for dissent, and at the final whistle manager Britton, as at Wimbledon a fortnight ago, had to again come over and shepherd his protesting players away from the referee.