Blue Square Conference South
Monday 9 March 2009 - Champion Hill Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-1 attendance: 117

team: P Evans, Rollo (c) (Rogers 64), Slocombe, Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Hogg, Edwards (Gilroy 55), Douglas, R Evans. subs not used: G Jones, Caldwell.
man of the match: Adam Connolly
scorers: none
bookings: Slocombe (41), Hogg (65), Holland (67)
officials: to follow

league position: 10th form: LLWLLL next match: Havant & W'ville (H)

Report taken from

After defeat at home to lowly Bognor Regis Town on Saturday the loyal Bath City supporters who travelled to South London on a Monday night all posed the same rhetorical question: ‘Surely it can't happen again’. Fisher Athletic, on the verge of insolvency, only managed to avoid a winding-up order last week in the High Court. On course to have fielded nearly 100 players in the season, they had twice faced transfer bans and met City on the back of a run of 15 straight league defeats. Surely even City could not fail to win.

City started like a team determined to make their mark on the game. Within the opening five minutes they had three chances, two for Richard Evans and one for Darren Edwards, but the real shock came with the game just seven minutes old. A long ball played down the left found Wayne Grant. He put in a looping cross which Seb Schoburgh expertly volleyed beyond Paul Evans in the City goal. There was stunned disbelief from the City fans who had made the trip. For a time City stayed positive as further chances fell to both Stuart Douglas and Edwards. Three times City had the ball in the net and three times the assistant referee's flag came to the rescue of the Fish as the City forwards were waved offside. Gradually Fisher grew in confidence and they had two good chances with both Nicky Greene and Murray Price going close.

The second period proved to be more of the same as City became increasingly desperate to get back into the game. However, with Dave Gilroy introduced in place of a tiring Edwards, City came the closest in a brief purple patch with 15 minutes to go. Chris Holland had a shot cleared off the line, closely followed by Gilroy heading wide. Seconds later City were back on the attack with a shot the keeper touched on to the upright before the ball ricocheted behind for a corner. It proved to be City's last meaningful attack and in the closing stages it was Fisher who again threatened to score with their youthful but pacy side challenging the City defence on the break. As against Bognor, this was game where City had the bulk of possession but once behind, despite a plethora of chances, looked increasingly less likely to score as time wore on.