Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 28 March 2009 - Hayes Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 505

team: P Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Rogers, Gibb (Klein-Davies 77), Edwards (Gilroy 61), Douglas (Simpson 81), Badman. subs not used: S Jones, Slocombe.
man of the match: Ali Gibb
scorers: Badman (50)
bookings: Badman (7), Rogers (51)
officials: C Brook, D Spain, G Mays

league position: 7th form: LLWWWD next match: Thurrock (H)

Report taken from

Despite a dominant first-half performance Bath City had to settle for a share of the points in an entertaining game at Hayes Lane. The omens at the kick-off looked good for the visitors as close-season signing Ali Gibb made his long-awaited first start in a City shirt.

Within minutes what the fans had been promised for some time at long last looked to pay off as the diminutive midfielder swung a succession of crosses into the opposition penalty area. His first attempt led to Scott Rogers shooting wide and just seconds later Adam Connolly stretched to get on the end of a cross that eluded defence and attack alike. With quarter of an hour gone Gibb’s free-kick sailed through the area without anybody getting a foot on the ball. Bromley were struggling to match City and despite playing a good passing game each move tended to break down against a resolute visiting defence. The home side’s best attempt in the opening stages came when Ryan Dolby picked up the ball in his own area before playing it on to Ryan Hall, who in turn released Warren McBean down the right. Fortunately, as the forward lined up to shoot Gethin Jones robbed him of the ball at the last minute. The best chances for both sides came either side of the half-hour mark. Inevitably it was a Gibb cross that flicked of a defender before falling nicely for Darren Edwards. With the keeper stranded Edwards was unlucky to see his header come back off the upright. Two minutes later it was Bromley on the attack. Chris Holland conceded a free-kick some 20 yards from goal and with the City wall always looking a man short Hall swung the ball round its far corner, forcing Paul Evans into a full-stretch save to his left to prevent the home side from going in front.

After a first period which saw City dominant, surprisingly it was Bromley who opened the scoring early in the second half. A penetrating shot from Ali Chabaan swung into the City area at pace. Keeper Evans managed to palm the ball away but only into the path of Harry Harding, who easily slotted home. Within three minutes City were on level terms. A good move down the right involving Edwards and Stuart Douglas looked to have broken down as the ball was played out to the right. However, yet again Gibb was on hand to sweep the ball across to the far side of the area and Mark Badman, with his back to goal, scissor-kicked past keeper Gareth Williams. At that point City regained control of the game and when Connolly took a free-kick which flicked off a defender to bring out a fine save from Williams it seemed only a matter of time before they went in front. However, with Edwards making way for Dave Gilroy, followed by a tiring Gibb for Josh Klein-Davies, City lost their shape and rhythm and instead it was Bromley who pressed their case for a winning goal. The closing minutes saw McBean miss an absolute sitter from close range, Matt Coupe make a goal-saving tackle Adrian Stone and beefy substitute Ashley Paul-Robinson bring out a good diving save from Evans. It was a storming finish for the sizeable group of travelling City fans, unfortunately at the wrong end of the field.