Blue Square Conference South
Tuesday 31 March 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D2-2 attendance: 409

team: P Evans, Rollo (c), Slocombe, Coupe, Holland, Connolly (Marsh-Brown 45), Simpson (G Jones 75), Rogers, Edwards (Gilroy 80), Douglas, Hogg. subs not used: Klein-Davies, Gibb.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Douglas (46), Hogg (55)
bookings: none
officials: A Laver (Portsmouth), A Whittaker (Tidworth), S Woodley

league position: 7th form: LWWWDD next match: Braintree Town (H)

Report taken from

An injury-time equaliser denied Bath City victory after they let a two-goal lead slip at home to Thurrock. Early second-half goals from Stuart Douglas and Lewis Hogg seemed to have set City on the way to a comfortable victory. However, Craig Hughes struck against the run of play to reduce the deficit and, despite the goalscorer being sent off five minutes later, Fola Orilonishe earned a point for the visitors three minutes into added-on time. City were dealt a blow just before kick-off when Ali Gibb suffered an injury in the pre-match warm-up and was replaced in the starting line-up by Sekani Simpson. New loan signing Ronayne Marsh-Brown had to settle for a place on the bench as Jim Rollo started at right-back and Martin Slocombe on the left.

City could have taken the lead in the second minute, but Simpson header over from Lewis Hogg’s drilled cross. The visitors enjoyed the better of the next 10 minutes and Matt Coupe had to block Che Stadhart’s cross, before Paul Evans saved comfortably from Thurrock captain Lee Flynn’s free-kick. Adam Connolly was forced off for seven minutes with a head injury but City settled and Darren Edwards produced a sharp save from visiting keeper Joe Woolley after Simpson’s flick-on. Stuart Douglas saw a half-chance sail well over the Thurrock bar and Evans had to make a good save from centre-back Rob Swaine’s volley in the 29th minute. Swaine found himself in the referee’s notebook 10 minutes later after a foul on Coupe, who had popped up on the right wing in attack. Coupe was called into defensive action a few minutes later when he headed the ball over his own crossbar from Sam Lechmere’s dangerous free-kick. Connolly was forced off the field for a second time just before half-time after picking up a knock on his leg and was replaced by Marsh-Brown for the second half.

City made the perfect start to the second period when a long ball was misjudged by the Thurrock defence and Douglas hit a first-time volley over the advancing keeper. The lead was nearly doubled moments later but Chris Holland’s close-range header was blocked. Hogg did add City’s second 10 minutes into the second half when he raced past two defenders into the box and finished neatly over the keeper. Thurrock used up all three substitutes within the first 15 minutes of the second period, but City remained in control, with Simpson looking dangerous on the right. He pulled the ball back for Edwards midway through the half, but the home striker could not make a clean contact and the ball went wide. Thurrock got themselves back in the match in the 77th minute when Craig Hughes – who had been booked for something he said to the referee four minutes earlier – fired low into the City net from distance. The shot came after Harlee Dean had ghosted his way through the City defence, only to see his shot well saved by Evans, a run that had been set up by Douglas chasing back and losing the ball. The goal came against the run of play but Thurrock’s hopes of a comeback were dented when Hughes went in late on Hogg and was sent off for his second yellow card offence. However, Dean nearly brought the scores level on 88 minutes when he shot powerfully from outside the area, but Evans got the slightest of touches to tip the ball onto the bar. City tried to run the clock down near the corner flag, but they lost the ball and Tchokountle Malik’s crossfield ball was misjudged by Slocombe and Fola Orilonishe finished neatly past Evans to rescue a point for the visitors.