Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 4 April 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 3-1 result: W3-2 attendance: 486

team: P Evans, G Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Badman, Simpson (Gibb 88), Rogers, Edwards, Gilroy (Klein-Davies 73), Hogg (S Jones 78). subs not used: Slocombe, Caldwell.
man of the match: Darren Edwards
scorers: Gilroy (pen 21, 35, 39)
bookings: none
officials: to follow

league position: 7th form: WWWDDW next match: B Stortford (H)

Report taken from

A hat-trick in the space of 18 first-half minutes from Dave Gilroy sent Bath City on their way to a 3-2 victory over Braintree. A late goal for the visitors set up a nervous finish, but City looked comfortable winners after Gilroy's third goal went in.

After a lifeless first 20 minutes, Chris Holland headed over from a Gethin Jones free-kick, but City only had to wait another minute to take the lead. Hogg and Edwards combined to send Gilroy running into the area and the ball was halted by the hand of Braintree centre-back Joe Bruce. The referee awarded a penalty and Gilroy confidently stepped up to send keeper Craig Holloway the wrong way. The match showed few signs of livening up over the next 10 minutes, but the visitors slowly worked their way back into the game and equalised on 33 minutes when a corner found its way to Danny Hockton, who volleyed home from close range. James Hawes shot over from a tight angle for Braintree moments later but City were soon on the attack and Sekani Simpsonís header found Gilroy, who took his time before firing low to the keeperís right from just inside the penalty area. Gilroy completed his hat-trick in the 39th minute when, after a sustained period of City possession, Scott Rogersí header found the City striker, and he hit a first-time volley past Holloway for the fourth goal of a first half which had not looked like providing much goalmouth action.

In the second half, the first chance fell to City, but Hogg's free-kick went well over after five minutes. Simpson came close to adding City's fourth on 56 minutes when he cut in from the left and fired in a low shot, but Holloway pushed the ball out for a corner. Space began to appear as Braintree chased the game and the warm weather began to take its toll, but City struggled to fashion a clear-cut chance to kill off the game. Louis Riddle nearly caught City out with a long-range free-kick in the 73rd minute, but his shot went just wide. Josh Klein-Davies came on for hat-trick hero Gilroy but the visitors began to threaten the City goal, with substitute Wayne O'Sullivan forcing a save from Paul Evans. Steve Jones and Ali Gibb came on for City but Braintree ensured a nervous end for the hosts when O'Sullivan headed home Riddle's cross in the 88th minute. However, City held on with little further trouble to extend their unbeaten run to six matches.