Blue Square Conference South
Saturday 18 April 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: W2-1 attendance: 604

team: P Evans (c), G Jones, Rollo, Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman, Douglas, Gilroy (S Jones 87), Hogg. subs not used: Marsh-Brown, Slocombe, Rogers, Gibb.
man of the match: Jim Rollo
scorers: Gilroy (51, pen 69)
bookings: Hogg (33), Badman (61)
dismissal: Hogg (38)
officials: M Russell (Bristol), M Long (Bridport), R Cockle (Bristol)

league position: 7th form: DWLWWW next match: Thurrock (A)

Report taken from

Two second-half goals from Dave Gilroy rewarded 10-man Bath City for a battling performance and ensured they ended their home campaign on a winning note. Their hopes of claiming three points looked like they been dealt a huge blow seven minutes before half-time when Lewis Hogg was shown his second yellow card for a second foul on James Lawson in quick succession. And City's misery was compounded when Dave Rainford scored from the subsequent free-kick to give Chelmsford the lead. But leading scorer Gilroy struck twice after the break, including the winner from the penalty spot, to secure a seventh victory in 10 games for City and keep them in seventh spot.

The match was Jim Rollo's 350th appearance for City but he was not captain for the occasion as that honour went to keeper Paul Evans, who was playing in his last home game for the club before emigrating to Australia in September. At the other end of the pitch, City were short of attacking options following the end of Josh Klein-Davies's loan spell from Bristol Rovers and a knee injury to Darren Edwards, which looks to have ended his season prematurely. In their absence, it was Gilroy and Stuart Douglas who once again led the attack and it was the latter who had the first half-chance of the game, nipping in ahead of Chelmsford keeper Ashley Harrison at the near post but prodding his shot into the side-netting. Chris Holland was just wide with a towering header from a Lewis Hogg corner and then produced a good clearance from inside his own six-yard box moments later after Evans had missed a Chelmsford flag-kick. Defensive partner Matt Coupe had a header scrambled clear from another set piece in the 20th minute, with Adam Connolly's follow-up shot being well held by Harrison after it had come through a crowd of players. Chelmsford were temporarily reduced to 10 men when Ian Cousins had to go off for stitches following a clash of heads with Douglas and did not return for 13 minutes. But during that time City were permanently reduced to 10 men following two bookings in the space of four minutes for Hogg, both for ill-timed tackles on Chelmsford right-back Lawson. Hogg could be in further trouble after getting involved in a confrontation with Chelmsford skipper Jeff Minton and the visiting bench as he left the pitch, eventually being dragged away by City boss Adie Britton. Things got worse for the hosts when the subsequent free-kick, lofted in by Sam Sloma, was deftly headed home by leading scorer Rainford to give Chelmsford the lead.

Rainford did not come out for the second half, having picked up a knock in the first period, and was replaced by Bertie Brayley. Not much happened in the opening stages but City got themselves well and truly back in the game in the 51st minute, thanks to some atrocious marking from the visitors. Steve Ward was booked for a foul on the edge of the box and from the free-kick, taken by Connolly, Gilroy was left totally unmarked eight yards out to head home the equaliser. It was from another set piece that Chelmsford almost regained the lead six minutes later, Sloma's delivery hitting Lawrie Dudfield and bouncing goalwards where it was smothered by a grateful Evans. City had a great chance of their own to go ahead in the 63rd minute. Douglas pounced on some tentative defending from Cousins to prod the ball towards goal, where it was parried by keeper Harrison. It fell to Connolly six yards out but his cross-shot was blocked. Gethin Jones picked up the clearance and burst into the box before going down rather theatrically but referee Mark Russell waved away the penalty appeals. However, he did point to the spot in the 69th minute when, from a corner, Douglas was shoved over by Harrison. The Chelmsford keeper was booked for his challenge and comfortably beaten by Gilroy, diving the wrong way as the striker rolled his kick into the right-hand corner of the net. It was no more than City deserved for a second-half display full of character and they never really looked like conceding an equaliser in the remaining 20 minutes, despite Chelmsford enjoying some good spells of pressure. Double scorer Gilroy was replaced by Steve Jones as boss Britton looked to protect the lead and, despite four minutes of injury-time, City were able to complete a notable double over Chelmsford.