Monday 13 July 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: D0-0 result: L1-2 attendance: n/a

team: Perrin (Dunn 45), Simpson (Jones 59), Rollo (c) (Allward 77), Coupe, Holland, Browning, Perrett, Jombarti, Douglas (Edwards 45), Hogg, Evans (Cornwall 68). subs not used: Caldwell, Taylor.
man of the match: Sido Jombarti
scorers: Jombarti (74)
bookings: none
officials: M Derrien, A Fricker, J Bishop

league position: n/a form: ----LL next match: Swindon Supermarine (A)

Report taken from

City fell to another 2-1 defeat in their second pre-season friendly against Hayes & Yeading United at Twerton Park. The match again featured a number of trialists, but several senior players also played a major role in the game and only five substitutes were used by manager Adie Britton.

Despite a lively opening, both sides struggled to create clear-cut opportunities early on, with neither keeper having much work to do in the first quarter of the game. That changed in the 24th minute when Steve Perrin pulled off a great one-handed diving save having been wrong-footed by a deflected free-kick. The save seemed to leave Perrin struggling, but he managed to carry on until half-time. Hayes went close again in the 31st minute when Ram Marwa's diving header from Dale Binns' cross went just wide. However, the best chance of the first half fell to City when Stuart Douglas found himself racing through on goal, but he failed to make a proper connection with his volleyed lob and his second effort was stopped by a defender with the keeper stranded. Douglas had a shot blocked and Mike Perrott shot well wide from distance as the hosts finished the half the stronger.

The first goal came 10 minutes into the second half when Scott Fitzgerald and Matt Coupe challenged for a header and the ball rolled kindly for Marwa, who was left with a simple finish to give the visitors the lead. City struggled to impose themselves on the game, with a Perrott shot from the edge of the box their best effort in the third quarter. However, the hosts pulled the scores level when substitute Aaron Cornwall's cross was fumbled by Delroy Preddie and Sido Jombarti knocked the ball in from close range. Hayes nearly restored the lead immediately, but Fitzgerald took too long over his shot after rounding City's second-half keeper Owen Dunn. The visitors were back in front after 83 minutes when Fitzgerald again rounded Dunn and this time found the back of the net. Jombarti was pulled back as he ran through on goal as the match went into injury time, but he struck the resulting free-kick over the bar.