Blue Square South
Saturday 15 August 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-1 attendance: 479

team: Puddy, Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Badman (Hogg 67), Simpson (Mohamed 74), Connolly, Edwards, Jombati, Perrott (Browning 59). subs not used: Gwinnett, Cornwall.
man of the match: Chris Holland
scorers: Jones (17), Holland (85)
bookings: Coupe (89)
officials: A Laver (Portsmouth), J Fortescue (Bournemouth), C Hubbard (Wimbourne)

league position: 8th form: ---LWW next match: havant (A)

Report taken from

Chris Holland’s late winner earned Bath City their second home win in the space of five days as they saw off winless Welling United at Twerton Park this afternoon. The defender’s magnificent looping header spared the blushes of keeper Will Puddy, whose mistake gifted visiting striker Jack Hobbs an equaliser after City had led for almost an hour through Gethin Jones’ 17th-minute effort. City made one change to the line-up that beat Maidenhead in midweek with Mike Perrott making his first Blue Square South start for the club on the left flank in place of the injured Richard Evans.

Welling arrived looking for their first points of the season and started brightly enough before City forced them on to the back foot. The first chance came on 11 minutes after Perrott was brought down by visiting captain Jeff Minton on the left. Adam Connolly’s inswinging free-kick arced towards the trusty head of Holland but, as the home crowd prepared to celebrate, the defender failed provide the final touch. Darren Edwards squandered a great opportunity two minutes later when Michael Haswell misjudged Perrott’s ball upfield to leave him in the clear, dragging the ball wide of the far post with only keeper Charlie Mitten to beat. Haswell became the first player booked when he fouled Simpson on the right and City opened the scoring from the resulting free-kick. Connolly’s inch-perfect delivery was met by the unmarked Jones, whose powerful header left Mitten helpless. The visitors fought back and Matt Coupe looked fortunate to escape a caution when he brought down Sam Hurrell on the left of the area, the Welling winger volleying well over Puddy’s bar after the resulting free-kick was only half-cleared to him. Holland did well to clear with his head under pressure from Ryan Johnson from Hurrell’s cross but Puddy remained virtually untroubled for the first 45 minutes. Edwards was presented with a second opening at the other end when he intercepted Minton’s under-hit back-pass but his effort lacked conviction and was blocked by Mitten’s midriff. The final chance of the half fell to the away side as Lee Clarke’s flick put Jake Hobbs in the clear, the striker blazing wide of the near post with a rushed finish.

City were the first to threaten after the break and Edwards had a shot from eight yards out blocked by defender Jack Parkinson after being picked out by Simpson’s cross from the right. Edwards returned the compliment with a left-wing centre that Simpson caught with a fierce, if misdirected, volley a minute later. Puddy made his first save of the afternoon five minutes into the second half, gathering Parkinson’s fierce strike from a free-kick after Coupe tripped Clarke on the edge of the box. The lively Simpson had the ball in the net just before the hour mark but only after fussy referee Andy Laver had blown for offside. City then made the first of three substitutions in the space of 15 minutes as Marcus Browning replaced Perrott and the veteran’s first touch was a shot from distance that ricocheted off a defender and into Mitten’s arms. The away side still looked threatening on the attack and substitute Michael Deane cut inside before firing in a rising effort that Puddy did well to gather. Seconds later Deane was foiled by a great tackle from last-man Jones on the edge of the box after Welling engineered a two-on-one situation with the City defence. But City did not survive for long and Puddy – who was to blame for all four of the goals City conceded on the opening day at Chelmsford – was again culpable. The on-loan Cheltenham Town keeper chose to control a through ball outside his area rather than clear it first time and was closed down by Hobbs, whose block tackle helped the ball goalwards before he squeezed it into the empty net from a tight angle. Boss Adie Britton threw on Kaid Mohamed for Simpson and he almost opened his account for the club with 10 minutes to go, forcing his way past Steve King 25 yards out before seeing a rising drive from the right of the area tipped over by Mitten. Holland had a shot deflected over the top for a corner on the right, which saw Jombati put a free header wide from Connolly’s centre. But City were not to be denied and it was Holland who send the home fans in a crowd of 479 happy with the winner. Substitute Lewis Hogg, making his first appearance of the season, sent a long free-kick towards the big centre-back, who looped a superb header over Mitten and into the far corner of the net. There was still time for Coupe to enter Mr Laver’s book for a foul on Hurrell but City held on comfortably for their second home win in five days.