Wednesday 22 July 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.30pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L1-2 attendance: n/a

team: Northmore, Simpson, Rollo (c) (Allward 45), Coupe, Jones, Browning (Badman 45), Perrott (Connolly 45), Jombarti, Edwards, Cornwall (Taylor 75), Hogg (Evans 45). subs not used: Perrin, Caldwell.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Edwards (88)
bookings: none
officials: M Russell, J Branston, J Bishop

league position: n/a form: --LLWL next match: Chippenham T (H)

Report taken from

Bath City were handed a finishing lesson by a youthful Bristol Rovers outfit in tonight’s Twerton Park friendly. A first-half brace from the game’s outstanding player, Sean Rigg, proved the difference between the teams but City would have avoided their third friendly defeat in four pre-season outings had they taken their chances. Chief culprit Darren Edwards finally pulled a goal back with two minutes to go but the need for manager Adie Britton to add to his strikeforce before the start of the Blue Square South season was clear for all to see. Trialists Marcus Browning and Aaron Cornwall started for City, the latter linking up with Edwards in attack. Ex-TeamBath keeper Ryan Northmore took the number one jersey with veteran Steve Perrin nursing a back injury on the bench.

Transfer-listed pair Rigg and Lewis Haldane were the most experienced members of a visiting line-up consisting of youth and reserve team players and combined for the opening goal on 14 minutes. Ben Swallow did well on the left, finding Haldane on the byline, and the one-time City loan target back-heeled for Rigg to apply the finishing touch from the edge of the six-yard box. Haldane had earlier forced the game’s first corner with a rasping shot from 25 yards that Northmore could only smother around the post. City should have drawn level on 25 minutes when Sido Jombarti cushioned a header into Cornwall’s path but the former Chippenham man dithered for too long and saw Dan Cayford block his effort. The pace of Rigg and Haldane going forward continued to trouble the City back-line, however, and the latter blazed over from a good position on the half hour after the dangerous duo linked up well again. But Rigg made no mistake a minute later, shrugging off Sekani Simpson to latch on to Haldane’s pass before shooting clinically past Northmore. Edwards curled a fine effort wide of Rovers keeper Mike Green’s right post but then wasted two further chances to halve the arrears before the break. First he robbed Rovers captain Alex Kite on the left and rounded Green before rolling a shot wide and then headed Jombarti’s left-wing cross over from an unmarked position.

City made four changes at the break with Mark Badman, Adam Connolly, Richard Evans and Jack Allward all entering the fray. And Connolly went close almost straight away, forcing Green into a smart save to his left after Evans’ free-kick was only half cleared. At the other end striker Joe White, the son of ex-City assistant boss Steve, shot straight at Northmore after racing on to captain Alex Kite’s long ball and then Rigg dragged a shot wide before setting up Haldane for another off-target effort. City’s central defensive duo of Matt Coupe and Gethin Jones were given some respite when Rigg was replaced by Ollie Clarke midway through the half, the direct Haldane also exiting the action as the visitors made four substitutions. Home boss Adie Britton sent on youngster Jamie Taylor for Cornwall for the last quarter of an hour and saw his side go close twice in quick succession. Evans’ inswinging free-kick glanced off a defender and Green did well to push the ball behind for a corner on the right, from which Gethin Jones saw a goalbound header nodded away by Cayford. City were rewarded for an improved second-half performance when Simpson’s through ball left the Rovers defence standing and Edwards ran on to chip past the advancing Green.