Blue Square South
Saturday 22 August 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L1-3 attendance: 507

team: Perrin, Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe (Perrott 68), Holland (Mohamed 45), Browning, Simpson, Connolly, Edwards, Jombat, Hogg. subs not used: Gwinnett, Dunn, Evans.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Mohamed (61)
bookings: none
dismissal: Browning (90)
officials: A Newell (Yate), E Hunt (Bristol), R Cockle (Bristol)

league position: 10th form: -LWWDL next match: Dorchester (A)

Report taken from

Bath City were masters of their own downfall for the second time this season as they gifted Hampton & Richmond Borough three points this afternoon. An own goal, a penalty and a sloppy back-pass led to the visitors' goals, while City missed a spot-kick of their own when the scores were goalless. The manner of the opposition goals brought to mind the opening-day defeat at Chelmsford City but there was to be no real hint of a comeback this time, despite an excellent first goal for the club by impressive sub Kaid Mohamed. Keeper Steve Perrin made his first start of the season for City in place of Will Puddy, who picked up a groin strain in training on Thursday, while the fit-again Gethin Jones replaced suspended Mark Badman, with Sekani Simpson pushing forward into midfield.

Both teams made a bright start to the game, with Hampton striker Craig Dundas blazing over from a tight angle inside the opening 60 seconds. City were enjoying some early joy down the right and one Lewis Hogg cross almost found Darren Edwards, who felt he was impeded by John Scarborough as he attempted to get to the ball. A Jones pass then found Hogg with space in the box but he couldn't quite pick out Edwards as he cut the ball back across goal. At the other end, Perrin had to throw himself at full stretch to push a dangerous Francis Quarm cross away from the lurking Dundas as play flowed from end-to-end. It was from one fine move that City should have taken the lead in the 17th minute. A quick throw found Hogg, who in turn picked out Simpson with a fantastic pass with the outside of his foot. The winger then put in a low cross and as he went to get on the end of it, Edwards went down under a Marcello Fernandes challenge. Referee Andrew Newell immediately pointed to the spot but Edwards - who has already scored two penalties this season - this time got under his kick and saw it hit the top of the crossbar. Instead it was the visitors who went ahead three minutes later, courtesy of some poor defending from City. Matt Coupe made the first mistake, heading back to where he thought Jones would be. However, the right-back was in an advanced position and Yaku latched onto the loose ball before driving into the box and firing in a shot which deflected off Chris Holland and into the net. It almost got worse for the City defensive duo in the 28th minute when they left it to each other to clear a routine through-ball. The dangerous Yaku was again on hand to pounce on the error but this time his rising shot went over the bar. City were looking a little flat after those setbacks but almost got back on level terms in the 38th minute when Adam Connolly's excellent free-kick from the right was met by Edwards at the near post but keeper Matt Lovett reacted superbly to tip the header over. However, City were still looking less than convincing at the other end and paid the price for more hesitant defending in the 42nd minute. A long clearance by keeper Lovett was allowed to bounce by Holland and Yaku was there again, getting goalside of Jim Rollo who had no choice but to tug the striker back as he went to shoot. The referee again awarded a penalty and Barry Matthews succeeded where Edwards had failed, drilling it into the bottom-left corner of the net.

Manager Adie Britton clearly felt the defence needed a shake-up for the second half and took off Holland, with Jones moving to centre-half. Sido Jombati dropped to right-back and striker Mohamed came on to take his place up front. However, the mistakes continued and it was this time it was a sloppy backpass from midfielder Marcus Browning which sent Yaku racing through for Hampton's third goal, just four minutes after the restart. City were now looking totally devoid of confidence at the back, taking too many touches on the ball and giving the Hampton strikers acres of time and space. The team did get a much-needed lift, though, just after the hour mark thanks to a surging run from Hogg, who took the ball from his own penalty box to the other before fizzing in a low cross which Mohamed emphatically steered home from close range. With the slighest sniff of a comeback in the air, Britton took a gamble by replacing centre-half Coupe with attacking midfielder Mike Perrott and switching to 3-4-3 for the final quarter of the game. The formation change helped City apply plenty of pressure, particularly down the right where Jombati put in a couple of testing crosses. The first was only half-cleared as far as Mohamed, whose acrobatic overhead kick dropped just over the bar, while the second picked out Perrott at the far post but his header was comfortably held by the keeper. Lovett also did well to save efforts from the sharp Mohamed and Hogg, again from right-wing crosses, as City pressed in vain for the second goal. Frustrations boiled over in injury-time when Browning and substitute Ian Hodges clashed off the ball. Punches appeared to be thrown, then they headbutted each other resulting in both players seeing red.