Blue Square South
Saturday 12 September 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 429

team: Perrin, Simpson, Rollo (c), Coupe, Jones, Connolly, Perrott, Hogg, Edwards, Mohamed, Evans (Caldwell 71). subs not used: Taylor, Gwinnett, Holland.
man of the match: Adam Connolly
scorers: Mohamed (53)
bookings: Coupe (5), Hogg (42), Mohamed (54)
officials: C Miller (Ipplepen), S Berner (Cullompton), M Long (Bridport)

league position: 12th form: LDDWLD next match: Dover Ath (A)

Report taken from

Bath City let two points slip as they were held to a home draw by winless Lewes this afternoon. Kaid Mohamed had put the hosts ahead eight minutes into the second half of a low-quality game but sub Louis Pople forced home a late leveller after City failed to clear a corner. The result means City have not won at Twerton Park since the second weekend of the season. City were without Sido Jombati (knee) but were boosted by the return of winger Richard Evans to the starting line-up for the first time in a month. Chris Holland was also able to take his place on the bench but the threadbare nature of City's squad meant Adie Britton could only name three other subs, all of whom had been on loan at Radstock Town until injuries forced their recall.

And City were perhaps fortunate not to lose another player five minutes into the game, this time to a red card, after Matt Coupe clipped David Wheeler's heels as the visiting striker ran through on goal. Technically it was a professional foul but the fact there was no deliberate intent and the ball was running slightly away from Wheeler perhaps influenced referee Chris Miller's decision to only show Coupe a yellow card. Joe Keehan curled the resulting free-kick over the bar, while City's first chance of the game saw Sekani Simpson's inviting cross headed just wide by Mohamed. Gethin Jones then had a minute where he was almost hero and villain. First he produced a fantastic tackle to win the ball before instantly playing it through for Darren Edwards but the striker lacked pace and Ross Sutton was able to get back to clear up the danger. Jones's next ball forward was not so clever, his mis-hit clearance going straight to Keehan whose low cross was poked goalwards by fellow midfielder Scott Chamberlain but straight at City keeper Steve Perrin. With attacking invention at a premium in the opening exchanges, a mistake looked the most likely source of an opening goal and it was a poor punch from visiting keeper Rikki Banks under pressure from Edwards which presented Evans with a good chance but the winger's shot was high and wide. Lewis Hogg was next in the book for a rather predictable foul from behind on Wheeler as the game continued in its scrappy vein, with both sides struggling to retain possession. There was a sigh of relief in the 42nd minute when Perrin spilled a routine save from Daniel Royce's long-range shot straight to Freddie Foreman, who rolled the ball into the net, but the flag had already gone up for offside. Mohamed had been flagged offside numerous times during a frustrating first-half for the City striker but he did produce the last effort of note, a fierce snapshot from Jim Rollo's throw-in which went wide.

The Welshman finally beat the offside trap three minutes into the second half as he raced onto an Edwards pass, only to drill his shot wide of the near post. Mohamed had an even better chance in the 51st minute, although he didn't seem to know much about it as Evans' looping cross dropped onto his head six yards out and deflected straight to the Lewes keeper. But the striker finally made the breakthrough two minutes later following excellent work in midfield by Adam Connolly. He won the ball and then rolled it through to Mohamed, who coolly took it around the onrushing Banks before finishing emphatically. Mohamed took his shirt off in celebration, earning a yellow card, but his relief, along with his team-mates and the City fans, was palpable. Not that the goal injected any life into what remained a dull encounter, with the only noteworthy occurences in the next 20 minutes being three substitutions - Pople and Williams Peauroux for Lewes and Ashley Caldwell replacing Evans for City. But there was a shot on goal in the 76th minute - and it almost resulted in a shock equaliser for the visitors. Wheeler embarked on a run, which looked to have been halted by a Mike Perrott tackle. However, it actually teed the ball up nicely for a shot which beat Perrin but bounced off the foot of the post. City did not survive Lewes' next sortee forward, though. The hosts gave away an unnecessary corner which Perrin flapped at as it came across goal, allowing Andrew Pearson to head against the bar and Pople was on hand to force the ball home from close range. And Pople almost bagged a winner five minutes later when he was played through by fellow sub Sam Crabb but he seemed to be put off by the onrushing Perrin and lifted his shot well wide of an open goal. City had a glorious chance to restore their lead seconds later when Perrott got in a good cross from the right but Edwards put his header from six yards straight at keeper Banks. Edwards was off target with another header in the second minute of injury-time, just moments after Perrin had made a good stop from Wheeler's effort as the game finished all square.