FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
Saturday 26 September 2009 - The Stan Robinson Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 5-0 result: W5-0 attendance: 442

team: Perrin, Hogg (Caldwell 64), Rollo, Coupe (c), Jones (Hart 54), Browning, Pelecaci, Connolly, Edwards (Perrott 68), Mohamed, Evans. subs not used: Dunn, Gwinnett.
man of the match: Florin Pelecaci
scorers: Edwards (14,40,pen 45), Pelecaci (34), Mohamed (37)
bookings: Hogg (53)
officials: to follow

league position: n/a form: DWLDLW next match: Newport (A)

Report taken from

Darren Edwards scored a first-half hat-trick as Bath City eased past Willand Rovers in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup this afternoon. The leading marksman, who completed his treble with a penalty on the stroke of half-time, was joined on the scoresheet by Romanian midfielder Florin Pelecaci and strike partner Kaid Mohamed as Adie Britton's men led 5-0 at the interval. City now enter the draw for Monday's third qualifying round having banked £4,500 in prize money following victory in Devon.

For a few potentially heart-stopping moments Western League side Willand Rovers threatened to make a game of this tie. With an attack led by former Tiverton Town player Carl Cliff-Brown, they poured forwards in the opening seconds, attempting to unsettle the City defence. Jim Rollo gave the ball away 30 yards out from goal and then fouled Willandís Rob Norrish. From the free-kick Tom Stocco rose at the far post only to head over the bar. Just three minutes later again it was Norrish who this time got the better of Matt Coupe, Cityís captain for the afternoon on his 300th appearance for the club, again heading over. It proved to be Roversí final flourish. Gradually City began to assert their superiority urged on by the excellent Pelecaci in midfield orchestrating the forward runs of Edwards and Kaid Mohamed. It was Pelecaci who on 14 minutes pumped the ball into the Willand 18-yard box. Edwards rose with the keeper, Brian Cann, got his head to the ball first and City never looked back. The Devon side might have counted themselves unlucky as they had temporarily been reduced to 10 men with Norrish off the field receiving attention for a head wound, the first of three occasions he had to leave the pitch for medical attention. Then just after the half hour mark the flood gates opened. Pelecaci got his first goal for City with a superb 25-yard volley and then slipped the ball to Mohamed, who took two touches before firing his shot across goal and beyond keeper Cann. Mohamed then turned supplier when he played in Edwards for the strikerís second. Cann made the initial save but could only parry the ball back into the forwardís path. Finally Edwards rounded off his and Cityís afternoon with his hat-trick after Mohamed had been brought down in the box and referee Mr Matthews pointed straight to the penalty spot before dismissing defender Ben Mammola for a professional foul. It was a breathtaking spell of dominance and one which left Rovers reeling.

In the second half despite being up against 10 men City were unable to further break down the home defence and with several substitutions the fluency of the first period never returned to the City formation. That was also in part not helped by a number of scything tackles which at times left Pelecaci looking as if he was dancing on hot coals rather than the green grass of the West Country. In the end it was a result that most would have expected although the score line will have done much to restore confidence after the disappointing late, late loss at Dover last Saturday. With a large contingent of visiting fans contributing to Willandís record gate it will also have given a considerable boost to Cityís financial position.