Blue Square South
Saturday 3 October 2009 - Spytty Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-1 attendance: 1410

team: Perrin, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Browning, Connolly, Pelecaci, Badman (Perrott 80), Edwards, Hogg, Evans. subs not used: Gwinnett, Hart, Caldwell.
man of the match: Sido Jombati
scorers: none
bookings: Hogg (30), Edwards (76), Jombati (90)
officials: B Huxtable (Torrington), A Raggett, M Lawrence

league position: 16th form: WLDLWL next match: Bridgwater (SPC) (A)

Report taken from

An early goal from Charlie Henry saw Bath City lose 1-0 at Newport County at Spytty Park. Henry struck in the seventh minute and, although City had plenty of the game late in the first half and throughout the second period, County held on to go top of the Blue Square South. Marcus Browning and Gethin Jones lined up in central defence for City, with Darren Edwards on his own up front. Former City players Scott Rogers and Paul Cochlin began the game for Newport, while striker Dave Gilroy was on the bench.

City had the first shot on goal when Jones hit an optimistic 40-yard volley well wide but Newport went in front in the seventh minute when Sam Foley's cross found its way to Henry at the far post and he took his time before firing home. Adie Britton's men responded well and Richard Evans delivered the first of several inviting first-half crosses from the left, only to find that no one was waiting in the area. Both sides struggled to get a grip on the game and hold possession but Newport's Danny Rose just missed the target from a free-kick in the 27th minute. This brought the hosts to life and a hobbling Steve Perrin pulled off a good diving stop to deny Foley from a Newport counterattack which saw the City defence badly outnumbered. Lewis Hogg picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on Foley, after which City enjoyed their best spell of the half, although Hogg's persistent complaints to the referee could easily have earned him a second yellow. Luckily for the City midfielder, the referee decided that a word with Hogg and captain Jim Rollo was sufficient. Mark Badman wasted City's best chance of the half when he headed wide from Evans' cross as the visitors kept up the pressure, while Marcus Browning's shot was blocked following a corner. Newport had strong penalty appeals turned down in injury time when Evans slid in on Foley, before Sido Jombati's low shot went wide at the other end.

The hosts had an early chance to double their lead after the break but Rose's shot was well stopped by Perrin. Florin Pelecaci, who had a quiet first half, forced Newport keeper Glyn Thompson into a good save with a well-hit effort six minutes in as City enjoyed a spell of pressure. Goalscorer Henry was forced off injured in the 61st minute, while City continued to look the more likely to score the next goal. Just as City seemed to be losing momentum, Adam Connolly burst through and his goalbound shot was deflected for a corner by Newport left-back Martyn Giles. There was a moment of controversy 10 minutes from time when Thompson threw the ball out of play to allow Rogers to receive treatment but City did not throw it back to the hosts and earned a corner from the attack. Two minutes later, Edwards nearly forced an equaliser from Mike Perrott's flick-on, but his shot was stopped by the keeper and trickled agonisingly wide. Gilroy wasted a chance to score against his former club when he fired high and wide, while a weak Edwards shot was easily saved by Thompson moments after seven minutes of added time had been indicated. City threw men forward and Jombati forced Thompson to concede a corner, but they could not find a way through and a nervous Newport side held on.