Somerset Premier Cup 1st Round
Tuesday 6 October - Fairfax Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: 0-3 attendance: 203

team: Dunn, Gwinnett, Hart, Coupe (c), Stewart, Caldwell, Perrott, Badman (Pelecaci 58), Taylor, Mohamed (Rollo 80), Evans. subs not used: Hogg, Jombati.
man of the match: Callum Stewart
scorers: none
bookings: Coupe (??), Perrott (??), Stewart (86)
officials: to follow

league position: n/a form: LDLWLL next match: B Cleeve (FAC) (A)

Report taken from

Bridgwater Town produced another special performance and keep their recent impressive good run going when they overcame Bath City in the Somerset Premier Cup under the lights at Fairfax Park on Tuesday night in front of a crowd of 203 writes Brian Austin. Injuries and unavailability meant Town were forced into making several changes to their line-up but such is the spirit and no little skill within the squad this season,the team changes made little difference to the style of play.

Town were first out the blocks and Graham Mercieca forced his way in from the left but failed to trouble the City keeper as his shot went wide.Craig Thomas then created a half chance for Chris Young but his shot was off target. Little was seen of the City attack and it was twenty one minutes before Manley was called into action,easily clutching a Badman header. Town were busy all over the park as the midfield of Beadle,Trowbridge and Robertson worked tirelessly.Mercieca's pace was causing the Bath defence all sorts of problems and Young and Thomas kept the City central defenders fully occupied. Ironically it was a rare City attack that led to Towns opening goal on 34 minutes.A cross from the right produced a goal mouth scramble which was tidied up by Brett Trowbridge and his pass out of defence found Mercieca in space.He outstripped the Bath defenders before unleashing a powerful shot which the keeper couldn't hold and Chris Young followed up to force the ball over the line. Five minutes later Town should have gone two up when a quick free-kick routine sent Young away but he screwed his shot wide.

Bath came out for the second half in determined mood and early pressure gave their travelling fans hope. But Towns defence,with Leigh Bailey making his full debut and Laird,Price and O'Donnell in uncompromising mood,easily withstood the onslaught.The back four were more than a match for anything the City forwards could muster and Manley was rarely troubled. Gradually Town reinstated their superiority over their higher league opponents and it came as no surprise when Mercieca doubled the scoreline. Excellent midfield work, again involving some slick passing, sent the flying winger away down the left.He cut inside and as the City keeper came out to narrow the angle he placed the ball superbly into the far bottom corner. Town were now well on top and created several chances to add more goals.Price,who once again was outstanding,joined in several attacks but Young,Trowbridge and Beadle failed to take advantage of openings. Young Sam Peppin, making his first team debut, came on to replace Chris Young, who once again had run himself into the ground with his phenomenal work rate,and it was Peppin who finished the scoring in the 89th minute with a first time shot into the bottom right hand corner following good work by Price and Thomas.