FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
Saturday 10 October 2009 - Kayte Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 3-0 result: W4-1 attendance: 398

team: Perrin, Jombati, Rollo (c), Browning, Jones, Connolly, Pelecaci (Simpson 72), Badman (Evans 80), Edwards (Coupe 89), Mohamed, Hogg. subs not used: Dunn, Perrott, Gwinnett, Caldwell.
man of the match: Mark Badman
scorers: Edwards (16 pen,71), Badman (39,41)
bookings: none
officials: K Morris

league position: n/a form: DLWLLW next match: Basingstoke (H)

Report taken from

Bath City sailed comfortably into the fourth and final qualifying round of the FA Cup with another comprehensive victory away from home against lower league opposition. If City had needed any warning of potential banana skins then Bishops Cleeve had already provided that with a 3-0 victory over Blue Square South side Weymouth in the previous round. However, it was testament to City’s desire to do well in the FA Cup this season and erase the memory of last year's loss at home to Aylesbury United that the result never looked likely to be anything other than a comprehensive away win.

Despite Marcus Browning striking the crossbar for the visitors in the first minute of the game, there was a characteristic wobble in the opening stages as City’s defence looked uncertain as to how to deal with a swirling and gusty wind. Cleeve pressed forward with Kevin Slack and Ben Gascoigne providing the threat down the right-hand side. Gradually City came back into the game and were unfortunate to have a penalty appeal turned down when the ball looked to clearly strike the hand of former City player Gareth Hopkins. However, just five minutes later, referee Kevin Morris did point to the spot, although this time from a somewhat less clear-cut incident. The move began with Florin Pelecaci from the centre circle playing the ball out to Darren Edwards on the right. Edwards ran on before slipping his cross inside to Kaid Mohamed. Again a former City player was involved, this time Steve Jones who slightly touched the ankle of Mohamed, who went down some ten yards from goal. Mr Morris awarded the penalty and Edwards converted the spot kick with a nonchalant tap-in to the keeper's right. Cleeve were then unlucky when skipper Richard Mansell tangled with Mark Badman as both players went for a ball in midfield. Badman received a cut to his eye which required treatment but Mansell was stretchered off with what looked like a serious leg injury. By now the visitors were pouring forward in numbers. A Hogg free-kick was dropped by Tom King in the home goal while Sido Jombarti saw a shot go a yard over the bar. Then Hogg again had a low drilled shot cleared off the line, this time by defender John Cant. It was clearly only a matter of time before City added to their total, which they did either side of the 40-minute mark with two quickfire goals from Badman. The first came when a well worked free-kick from Jim Rollo was headed into the area by Gethin Jones. Edwards' shot was blocked but the rebound was scrambled over the line by Badman. Three minutes later, the City midfielder repeated the feat to show his recently found goalscoring prowess was no fluke. This time a cross from Hogg was deflected by Cant only as far as Badman, who confidently fired home from six yards. Just as at Willand Rovers in the previous round it was game over before half-time.

In the second period, the home side briefly threatened to come back into the match when they switched to a three-man attack and succeeded in at least pulling one goal back. Just after the hour mark, a long ball played downfield found Slack, Bishops' leading goalscorer, who comfortably fired past Steve Perrin in the City goal. However, City restored their three-goal cushion on 71 minutes when Edwards confidently headed home his second, and City’s fourth, of the afternoon. All eyes will now turn to the draw on Monday for the fourth qualifying round where the prospect of local derbies against either Chippenham Town or Paulton Rovers, or showdowns with Luton Town and Oxford United, are already beginning to whet City fans appetite for more FA Cup action.