FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
Saturday 24 October 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W3-2 attendance: 740

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly (Browning 82), Simpson, Badman, Edwards (Perrott 77), Hogg, Evans (Pelecaci 86). subs not used: Dunn, Coupe, Gwinnett, Caldwell.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Evans (25), Connolly (30), Jones (47)
bookings: Holland (31), Badman (62), Perrott (90)
officials: A Quelch (Reading), G Poynter (Overton), J Costelloe (Iver)

league position: n/a form: WLLWWW next match: Weymouth (A)

Report taken from

Bath City stormed into the first round proper of the FA Cup with a strong performance against an AFC Totton side who were flattered by their two late goals. However, the opening 20 minutes made this look as if it would be a much closer contest as the lively visitors stormed forward at pace while City found the swirling wind not to their liking.

As early as the third minute, a shot from Brett Williams forced debutant City keeper Ryan Robinson into a good save. As Totton oozed confidence Michael Gosney again forced Robinson into a convincing save, followed just a few minutes later by Sido Jombarti making a last-ditch tackle to rob Mark Osman. But City gradually began to get into their stride. A good move starting with captain Jim Rollo saw the ball played to Lewis Hogg and then to Richard Evans, whose shot was easily taken by Gareth Barfoot in the visitors' goal. However, there was little Barfoot could do in the 25th minute when a fine cross by Sekani Simpson was fired home by Evans arriving late in the box. Five minutes later Totton were again knocked back as this time it was Adam Connolly who took advantage of a Hogg cross, that Aidan Lewis failed to control, to score City’s second. Connolly could have added to his tally in style when a 30-yard pile-driver rebounded back off the upright just four minutes before the interval.

Whatever Totton's manager Stuart Ritchie said at half-time was rapidly undone as his side went further behind. A free-kick at the Bath end sailed to the far post where Chris Holland headed back across goal. A half clearance by Barfoot only went as far as Gethin Jones, whose carefully placed header gave City a convincing lead. The home side continued to dominate as Evans increasingly found space down the left hand side and it was his defence-splitting pass which narrowly failed to be touched home by a clutch of City players in the 53rd minute. Hogg then put the ball over the line during a goalmouth scramble but his effort was disallowed as he was adjudged to have fouled a defender. Finally, with five minutes to go, Evans' curving shot from 20 yards came back off the bar with the keeper beaten. That should have been the final result but, following a couple of late substitutions, City took their foot off the gas and Totton rapidly took advantage. Three minutes before the end Nathan Jack scored from the edge of the 18-yard box through a crowd of players. Then, two minutes into stoppage time, Jamie Whisken pulled another goal back to leave City with an anxious finish they should never have had to suffer. They survived to gain not only that vital first round place but also a financial boost of £12,500 in prize money.