Blue Square South
Tuesday 10 November 2009 - Wheatsheaf Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 425

team: Robinson, Jombati (Pelecaci 79), Rollo (c), Jones (Coupe 20), Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman, Douglas (Perrott 55), Mohamed, Hogg. subs not used: Browning, Evans.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Mohamed (65)
bookings: Rollo (40), Jombati (75), Coupe (90)
officials: to follow

league position: 14th form: WWWdWD next match: Chelsmford (H)

Report taken from

Bath City were denied by Andre Scarlett's equaliser 15 minutes from time as the clash between Blue Square South's two FA Cup giantkillers finished all square at Wheatsheaf Lane tonight. It was a tired-looking Bath City side that took to the pitch after their exertions at Grimsby Town on Saturday. Staines, who had equally had a punishing but victorious day against Shrewsbury, at least had the luxury of making five changes to their line-up to produce a youthful but pacy side.

For City, missing leading goalscorer Darren Edwards through injury, it was a backs-to-the-wall first half with Ryan Robinson being forced into early saves from Staines’ Ali Chaban and Dean Thomas. Chaban – who hit the winner at Shrewsbury - then went close twice more, once from a free-kick just before the half-hour mark and then eight minutes later from another free-kick, putting the ball over the City wall but also a yard over Robinson’s goal. City’s cause was also not helped early on by Gethin Jones limping off with a groin strain to be replaced by Matt Coupe. The visitors’ first-half attempts on goal were mainly limited to one long-range shot from Adam Connolly or half chances from free-kicks. The best of these came on 22 minutes when a Jim Rollo free-kick from the halfway line was headed on by Chris Holland and Stuart Douglas, on his return to the starting line-up, was only inches away from turning the ball into the net.

At the start of the second period City enjoyed their best spell of the match. After half chances from Lewis Hogg and Douglas they were rewarded on 65 minutes when a Hogg free-kick was headed back across goal for Kaid Mohamed to stab home from close range. City’s lead lasted just 11 minutes. Sido Jombati fouled Scarlett just outside the City area and from the resulting free kick Scarlett fired through the wall, the ball flicking off Connolly and into the back of the net. The home side thought they had clinched all three points just two minutes later when Chaban had the ball in the back of the net but it was disallowed for a foul on City keeper Robinson. Despite spaces opening up for both teams, neither was able to take advantage in the closing stages. City brought on Mike Perrott, who boss Adie Britton said was unlucky not to get a starting place, for Douglas early in the half followed by Florin Pelecaci for Jombati just after the Staines goal, but it failed to prove decisive. However, the draw does take City’s unbeaten run to seven games in all competitions.