FA Cup 2nd Round
Saturday 28 November 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: L1-2 attendance: 3325

team: Robinson, Jombati (Pelecaci 58), Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman, Edwards (Douglas 76), Mohamed (Perrott 85), Hogg. subs not used: Evans, Browning, Perrin, Caldwell.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Hogg (42)
bookings: Douglas (80), Connolly (90)
officials: K Wright (Peterborough), M Amphlett (Kidderminster), A Laver (Portsmouth)

league position: n/a form: dWDWLL next match: Woking (H)

Report taken from

Bath City's FA Cup run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat at home to Forest Green Rovers in front of a packed crowd at Twerton Park. Jonathon Smith's deflected shot put the visitors in front midway through the half but Lewis Hogg equalised just before half-time. Mark Preece restored Rovers' lead early in the second half and City piled on the pressure but could not find a way through, ending dreams of a lucrative third round tie.

started with Sido Jombati on the right of midfield, with Sekani Simpson behind him and the right-back got forward to good effect as the game got off to a slow start. The best early chances fell to bath as Adam Connolly made space for himself before shooting wide and Kaid Mohamed's effort on the turn was easily saved by Terry Burton in the Rovers goal. However, Forest Green began to show and Jared Hodgkiss' cross was just too far for Tomi Ameobi, the brother of Newcastle United's Shola Ameobi. After little action in the opening 20 minutes, chances began to fall to both sides as City keeper Ryan Robinson held on to David Brown's shot and Darren Edwards opted to head across goal when unmarked from a Hogg free-kick, but Gethin Jones was beaten to the ball by Ameobi. Forest Green took the lead when Smith found himself in acres of space as he attacked the City goal from central midfield and his shot took a deflection off Chris Holland which wrong-footed Robinson and found its way into the net. Mohamed missed a great chance to equalise when he volleyed over from Hogg's cross, while Darren Edwards' low shot was deflected wide by Rovers centre-back Mark Preece as City began to build a spell of pressure. Jombati shot over and, although Forest Green threatened occasionally on the counter-attack, City's equalier duly arrived when a long left-footed Sekani Simpson cross was met by an unmarked Hogg at the far post, who powered his header into the top corner. City finished the half the stronger and Edwards slid the ball across for Jombati, but he could not get any power on his shot.

Rovers restored their lead in the third minute of the second half when Conal Platt's corner was met by the head of Preece. Robinson got a hand to it but could not keep it out. Connolly's low shot went wide as City looked for a second equaliser but Forest Green should have doubled their advantage as Platt was sent clear from a counter-attack, only to shoot wide with only Robinson to beat. Both sides made a change, with Danny Powell coming on for the visitors and Romanian Florin Pelecaci replacing Jombati. It nearly paid dividends for the hosts when good work from Hogg allowed Pelecaci to deliver a pinpoint cross from the right but an unmarked Edwards headed wide from close range when it seemed easier to at least test the keeper. City built some momentum, with Hogg to the fore, but clear-cut chances were hard to come by as the Rovers defence stood firm. Forest Green released the pressure with a counter-attack, which forced City captain Jim Rollo to make a vital tackle, before Joe O'Cearuill headed wide from the resulting corner. Stuart Douglas replaced Edwards in the 76th minute but Rovers nearly added a third moments later when Smith headed straight at Robinson from Ameobi's cross. Several City fans thought the equaliser had come six minutes from time but Pelecaci's volley had gone into the side-netting, while moments later Douglas looked to get on the end of substitute Mike Perrott's flick-on but the keeper got there first and the offside flag was raised anyway. The game became stretched as City threw players forward and Rovers nearly took advantage following a miskick from Robinson, but Hodgkiss shot wide with only the keeper and a defender on the line to beat.