Blue Square South
Tuesday 1 December 2009 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 3-0 result: W5-0 attendance: 447

team: Robinson, Simpson (Pelecaci 76), Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Jombati, Badman, Edwards (Douglas 80), Mohamed (Stolcers 64), Hogg. subs not used: Perrott, Browning.
man of the match: Kaid Mohamed
scorers: Mohamed (8), Edwards (10,76), Holland (37), Stolcers (74)
bookings: none
officials: A Bromley (Plymouth), A Raggett (Weston SM), S Wales (Twekesbury)

league position: 10th form: WDWLLW next match: Newport County (H)

Report taken from

Five-star Bath City showed absolutely no signs of a FA Cup hangover tonight after putting Woking to the sword with a dazzling display. Any disappointment the home players may have had after Saturday's defeat to Forest Green Rovers was quickly forgotten as both Kaid Mohamed and Darren Edwards struck in the opening 10 minutes. City carved out plenty more chances to add to their lead and deservedly made it 3-0 when Chris Holland struck eight minutes before half-time. The hosts had to weather some early pressure from Woking after the break but completed a deserved rout when debutant Andrejs Stolcers and Edwards scored in quick succession. Adie Britton stuck with the same 11 which started against Rovers, with Florin Pelecaci remaining amongst the substitutes despite his impressive cameo display in Saturday's FA Cup exit. He was joined on the bench by new signing Stolcers, the Latvian international, who was selected ahead of left winger Richard Evans. More than 3,300 people had packed into Twerton Park at the weekend but, unsurprisingly given the cold and damp conditions, the crowd was around a tenth of the size for this game.

But those who stayed away missed a fantastic start by City, which saw them score twice in the first 10 minutes and go mighty close to a third. The first chance came in the fifth minute when a quick clearance kick by Ryan Robinson caused a problem to Cards defender Tony Sinclair, who could only head the ball into Mohamed's path. The Welsh striker unleashed a low angled drive which seemed destined for the far corner of the net until keeper Ross Worner dived full stretch to brilliantly tip it around the post. However, there was nothing Worner could do about Mohamed's next effort from virtually the same position. Again Woking's defence failed to deal with an aerial ball and Mohamed used his strength to win possession before lashing an unstoppable rising drive past Worner at the near post. It was the perfect start for City after Saturday's disappointment - and it got even better a couple of minutes later. Mark Badman's break into the box was halted by Tom Hutchinson's challenge but he could only prod the ball into the path of Sekani Simpson, whose instant cross superbly picked out Edwards to head home at the back post. Woking were reeling and their cause was not helped by holding a high defensive line which City's attackers constantly looked like breaching. Indeed, the home side almost scored a third in the 14th minute when Edwards' cross dropped over Mohamed but was prodded goalwards by Badman, who saw his looping effort held at the second attempt by Worner. City were looking sharper all over the park, passing the ball around with confidence, while the midfield duo of Badman and Adam Connolly were again in dominant form. It took the visitors until the half-hour mark to register their first real threat of the game when Moses Ademola's clever turn took him into space. However, the Cards striker delayed his shot and City's defenders got back quickly to crowd him out. But it was the hosts who remained the better team and created another excellent opening moments later. Mark Ricketts gave the ball away to Lewis Hogg, whose cross from the left was just behind the unmarked Sido Jombati who couldn't quite get enough power on his close-range header. However, the third goal finally arrived in the 37th minute, again after good work by Simpson down the right. His strong run was crudely ended on the edge of the box, earning a free-kick which was crossed in by Hogg for Holland at the back post. His downward header hit a Cards player and bounced back to the feet of the City defender, who rifled the ball past Worner.

Woking boss Graham Baker was clearly fuming with his side's first-half display and made three changes for the second period, sending on Aswad Thomas, Nathaniel Pinney and Matthew Wright in a rearranged 3-4-3 formation. And it almost had an instant impact as both Wright and Pinney went close to pulling a goal back within 90 seconds of the restart. Woking looked fired up and Wright thought he had pulled one back when he forced home from a corner but the referee had already blown for a foul. And Robinson had to race off his line to make a brave save at the feet of Wright, who had made a big difference to the visitors after coming on for the lumbering Trevor Benjamin. City managed to survive the early onslaught and almost added to their lead on the hour mark when a corner dropped to Jombati in the right corner of the penalty box. The Portuguese winger unleashed a stinging volley which smashed against the outside of the post with Worner beaten. Britton made his first change four minutes later, sending on former Fulham and Spartak Moscow man Stolcers for his City debut in place of Mohamed. It was another City goalscorer who should have extended the lead a couple of minutes later, Holland missing a free header from eight yards after being picked out by a Hogg free-kick. But it was 4-0 in the 74th minute - and it was Stolcers who got on the scoresheet, albeit in bizarre fashion. The City sub charged down an attempted clearance by keeper Worner, who could only watch as the rebound rolled into the net. And a fifth goal arrived just a couple of minutes later when Woking's woeful defence - who had previously conceded just 12 times this season - again failed to deal with a free-kick and Edwards stabbed the ball home at the back post. That was Edwards' last involvement before being replaced by Stuart Douglas, while Pelecaci came on for the impressive Simpson. But the changes did not disrupt City's flow and Holland again missed a sitter when he headed wide from another Hogg corner. Woking were having a thoroughly miserable evening and were denied a consolation goal when Ademola's close-range header was brilliantly kept out by Robinson's reflex save. The Cards also put a shot wide after wriggling his way into the box moments later. Robinson was clearly desperate to keep a clean sheet and made another outstanding save to deny Rikki Anane in injury-time.