Blue Square South
Saturday 26 December 2009 - Woodspring Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 659

team: Robinson, Jones, Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Hogg, Edwards (Douglas 59), Mohamed (Browning 84), Jombati (Stolcers 67). subs not used: Evans, Caldwell.
man of the match: Adam Connolly
scorers: Edwards (32,39)
bookings: Hogg (18)
officials: P Rees (Portishead), A Ricketts, R Cockle

league position: 8th form: LWDLWW next match: Havant (H)

Report taken from

Bath City completed a comfortable victory over Weston-super-Mare at Woodspring Park to continue their 100 years of dominance over their Somerset rivals. Since their first meeting in 1910 City have lost only twice to the seaside outfit and from the kick-off this never looked like a third defeat.

A goalless first 30 minutes were competitive but ultimately one-sided as the visitors dominated possession. That period was sufficient for Kaid Mohamed and Darren Edwards to fire wide and for Lewis Hogg to get a booking against his old side for a mistimed sliding tackle. City had a good chance just before the half hour when former transfer target Clayton Fortune gave the ball away to Edwards who, in trying to go round the Shrek-like bulk of keeper Kevin Sawyer, stumbled and fired wide. Three minutes later Edwards made amends. A free-kick on the left from Hogg was played wide to Gethin Jones, who powerfully headed back into the Weston goal area, and Edwards fired home from close range. It is often stated that the mark of a good side is that when they are a goal to the good they instantly look for a second. Edwards duly obliged for City. Again he took advantage of a home defensive error, racing down the left and, as Sawyer came off his line, scoring from just inside the Weston box. Edwards should have completed his hat-trick before the interval. In a move that started with the forward the ball was played via Mohamed and Sekani Simpson back into the box, where an unmarked Edwards put his glancing header wide. It was the easiest of his four chances but with City two goals ahead at the interval, it was easily forgiven.

City began the second half as they ended the first with Edwards having a shot which was narrowly touched over the bar by Sawyer. Edwards was then substituted and replaced by Stuart Douglas and it later emerged that the leading scorer was suffering from a slight hamstring strain. If the home side thought the pressure was off following Edwards’ substitution then they were mistaken as within a minute Douglas brought out a save from the Weston keeper after a cross from Sido Jombati. On 61 minutes Weston won their first corner of the match after a Ben Wells shot had been turned over the bar by Ryan Robinson. It was the first, and last, save that the City keeper had to make. At the other end there were further attempts on goal by Mohamed, a header from Chris Holland that was blocked by the defence and a fine run down the left by substitute Andrejs Stolcers, but no further goals. Despite this it was as comprehensive a victory as City are likely to enjoy this season.