Blue Square South
Saturday 30 January 2010 - Clarence Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 383

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman, Edwards (Caldwell 90), Mohamed (Stolcers 80), Hogg. subs not used: Harris, Coupe, Douglas.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Holland (5), Hogg (79)
bookings: none
officials: B Holderness (Hornchurch)

league position: 10th form: LWWLDW next match: Weston SM (H)

Report taken from

If the temperatures at St Albans’ Clarence Park were frosty, with one terrace closed due to snow, Bath City’s performance on the pitch was anything but. With Mark Badman recalled in place of Adie Harris and Darren Edwards starting despite having a brain scan in the week and a stomach complaint, it was a match in which City were dominant as they recorded their first win of 2010.

As early as the second minute Sido Jombati ran at the Albans defence, exchanging passes with Lewis Hogg before firing over the crossbar. It did little to dent City’s enthusiasm for attack. Only a couple of minutes later Hogg brought out a good save from veteran keeper Paul Bastock, who tipped Chris Holland’s effort over from the corner. However, City and Holland did not have long to wait before they broke the deadlock. A further corner from Hogg saw Bastock this time only flap at the ball. His half clearance was pushed as far as Holland, who made no mistake in firing home from 15 yards. From then on it was all City. Three times Hogg saw his shots go over the crossbar or saved by the keeper. Even when Bastock was beaten, as happened when Kaid Mohamed shot on 35 minutes, James Fisher was there to clear off the line for the home side. City nearly doubled their advantage right on the half-time whistle when Badman’s shot came back off the upright and then twice more the ball was scrambled clear from City corners.

It was a first-half performance that left the home team manager Steve Castle flapping his arms up and down like an animated penguin as he watched in ever increasing frustration as his side failed to seize any advantage. However, despite their dominance the visitors were still only one-goal ahead and after the previous week when two late strikes meant a sharing of the points against Bishop’s Stortford, the fear amongst the large and noisy contingent of travelling support was ‘could the same happen again?’. For a time at the start of the second half it looked as if this might prove true. Playing down the slope St Albans began to find more space and for a short spell threatened the City defence. A cross and a shot by Chris Sullivan were both well taken by Ryan Robinson in the City goal. St Albans then made a couple of substitutions in quick succession, bringing on Leyton Orient youngster Jake Argent and loan signing Jonathan O’Donnell from Luton Town. However, far from increasing the home side’s potential it seemed to disrupt their attack and City were soon back on the offensive. Two free-kicks on the edge of the St Albans 18-yard box were cleared but then with just over 10 minutes to go City struck again. A fine run down the right from Mohamed led to a perfect cross into the box and for the second week in a row it was met by the diving head of Hogg to seal a totally deserved three points.