Blue Square South
Tuesday 2 February 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 545

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman, Edwards (Harris 80), Mohamed (Douglas 90), Hogg. subs not used: Coupe, Caldwell, Collier.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Mohamed (35)
bookings: Badman (85)
dismissal: Hogg (71)
officials: A Coggins (Bicester)

league position: 8th form: WWLDWW next match: Dover Ath (H)

Report taken from

A fine header from Kaid Mohamed was enough to earn a 23rd win in 24 home games for Bath City against local rivals Weston. The Welsh striker was set up beautifully by Sekani Simpson's inswinging cross and the only disappointment was that the margin of victory was not greater. However, a rather low-key derby was marred in the 71st minute by a flare-up between Lewis Hogg and former City striker Josh Klein-Davies, which ended with both players having to be restrained by stewards after being shown the red card. Adie Britton stuck with the same XI which started Saturday's 2-0 win at St Albans City, while Weston left out transfer-listed defender Clayton Fortune - a target for City at the start of the season. Weston boss Andy Gurney also named himself on the bench for the visitors, who started the game bottom of the table after a run of six straight defeats.

City set their stall out in the opening couple of minutes, with in-form midfielders Adam Connolly and Lewis Hogg firing in shots from the edge of the area. However, they failed to test the keeper. Referee Antony Coggins also wasted no time in imposing himself on the game, booking Weston skipper Craig Rand after just five minutes following a crude challenge from behind on Mohamed. City were having the better of the opening exchanges and Simpson forced the first save of the night when his rising angled drive from just outside the box was parried by Kevin Sawyer. Simpson also put in a good cross which was nodded wide by Hogg at the far post, while Mohamed could not quite enough on his glancing header from an equally enticing centre by Sido Jombati. Another half-chance went midway through the half when Hogg worked some space in the box but put in a tame shot which was easily saved at the near post. The breakthrough should have come in the 26th minute when a long clearance bounced through to Mohamed but, with just Sawyer to beat, he fired straight at the keeper. The rebound fell to Simpson, who centred again for Mohamed but the Welsh striker's close-range shot was this time deflected wide for a corner. Weston escaped again from the flag kick, which was headed goalwards by Chris Holland but hit Jombati and went behind for a goal kick. It seemed only a matter of time before City scored, though, and the goal duly arrived in the 34th minute. It was one worth waiting for as well, with Simpson producing some neat footwork to go between two defenders on the right touchline before curling in a wonderful left-footed cross which was emphatically headed home by Mohamed. It was no more than City deserved and Connolly almost doubled the lead five minutes later with a stinging effort that bounced off the unsuspecting Sawyer's chest before he grabbed it at the second attempt.

Weston had their first effort on goal inside the opening 30 seconds of the second half but Jermaine Clarke's looping header was never going to trouble Ryan Robinson. But City soon reasserted their dominance, albeit without creating any notable chances. The closest they came to an opening was when Hogg's clever pass threatened to release Darren Edwards but Rand just managed to toe the ball away from the home striker. At the other end, Clarke looked like he might capitalise on a slip by Holland but the defender recovered well and forced the visiting striker to blaze his shot wildly over the bar. However, that was a rare sortee from Weston and the action quickly returned to the other end, with another fine cross from Simpson requiring a timely defensive header from Tom Evans to prevent it reaching the lurking Edwards. Simpson was looking City's most creative player and it was his incisive pass which released Mohamed, whose firm drive was pushed around the post by Sawyer. The resulting corner fell to Connolly on the edge of the box but he fell backwards as he hit his shot, which went just over the angle of bar and post. The Weston goal continued to live a charmed life, with Simpson the next to see a long-range shot narrowly miss the target following the slightest of deflections. Up until this point, there had been no sign of the expected animosity between the two teams following the contentious nature of the original game's postponement on New Year's Day. But the game took a controversial turn in the 71st minute when Hogg and Klein-Davies both saw red in an incident which sparked a melee in the tunnel. Hogg was caught by a late tackle by Klein-Davies and reacted by running up to the Weston striker, who appeared to stick his head in the City midfielder's face before crashing to the floor. Players from both teams, plus officials from the Weston bench, ran across to separate the two players, with Hogg clearly still seething. His mood was not helped when referee Coggins, after sending Klein-Davies off for butting, flourished another red card in his direction. Hogg's reaction was to race the tunnel in pursuit of Klein-Davies and it needed a combination of City boss Britton and the club's stewards to restrain him. It was an unsavoury incident but City refused to let it knock them out of their stride and they should have doubled their lead moments later when Simpson's pass sent Edwards through on goal, only for the striker to drag his shot wide. Mohamed then embarked on an excellent run down the left wing, finishing with him cutting between two defenders and firing in a shot which was blocked by right-back Mike Green. Darren Mullins was booked for dissent after claiming Weston should have been awarded a penalty late on but the visitors did not deserve anything from the game. Weston boss Gurney brought himself on for injury-time but the visitors were lucky not to finish with just nine men after Tom Evans escaped with a booking following a woeful tackle on Jombati. They did have the ball in the back of the net in the fourth minute of injury time but the whistle had already blown for a foul on City keeper Robinson.