Blue Square South
Saturday 13 February 2010 - York Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W2-1 attendance: 313

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Coupe, Jones, Connolly, Simpson, Badman (Harris 75), Edwards (Mackie 89), Mohamed (Douglas 81), Bartlett. subs not used: Caldwell, Howells.
man of the match: Matt Coupe
scorers: Mohamed (43), Edwards (45)
bookings: Badman (75)
officials: T Robinson (Sussex)

league position: 7th form: LDWWdW next match: Havant (H)

Report taken from

Two goals on the stroke of half-time set Bath City on their way to three deserved but ultimately hard-earned points at Maidenhead United. Kaid Mohamed's guided finish and Darren Edwards' stooping header both came from set pieces to enliven what had, until that point, been a dull game. The home side made a fight of it in the second half and pulled a goal back through Kieran Knight but City held on for three useful away points.

A poor playing surface was not conducive to good football but it was City who coped the better and produced the majority of what few chances there were in the first half. Mohamed had a tame effort saved at the near post and also prodded the ball against keeper Chris Tardif from close range after Jack Bradshaw's back header fell short. But he was much more accurate from the edge of the box in the 43rd minute, superbly picking out the top corner through a crowd of players after Tardif could only clear Adam Connolly's free-kick into the striker's path. And it got better for City in the third minute of injury-time when Connolly's excellent corner was headed home from inside the six-yard box by a stooping Edwards. Maidenhead had found it difficult to get into the game against a City defence well marshalled by the commanding Matt Coupe, who was in the team due to an injury to Chris Holland. Scott Bartlett also came into the starting line-up for his City debut at the expense of Adie Harris. The Welsh midfielder had to make do with a place on the bench alongside new signing Hector Mackie and striker Stuart Douglas in his final game before moving to Newport County on loan.

City could have added to their lead in the 55th minute when Bartlett's centre was allowed to bounce through to Edwards, who controlled the ball before firing it straight at the keeper. Maidenhead finally began to apply some pressure, forcing a couple of corners and a miskicked clearance from visiting keeper Ryan Robinson, and should have pulled one back when Alex Wall was left with a free header from Daniel Brown's free-kick but put it over the bar. However, City failed to read the danger signs and when Bradshaw put in a teasing cross a couple of minutes later, Knight was able to flick his header into the top corner to get the home side back into the game. The visitors had a lucky escape in the 73rd minute when Robinson again scuffed a clearance, this time straight to Wall but the Maidenhead striker's shot was more like a back-pass to the relieved keeper. City were finding it difficult to reassert their control on the game so boss Adie Britton sent on Harris in place of Mark Badman, who had been booked a couple of minutes earlier, and replaced the quiet Mohamed with Newport-bound Douglas. Maidenhead sensed an equaliser and also made a couple of changes, sending on Adam Bernard and Ivaylo Dimitrov for Brown and goalscorer Knight respectively. But with Coupe and Jones standing strong at the back, City managed to limit the chances with their best coming when Sam Collins drove in a low cross which Robinson cut out bravely, earning a bang on the head from Wall in the process. Mackie came on for his City debut, replacing Edwards in the 89th minute, and he helped to shore up the midfield as the visitors withstood some late pressure to seal the win.