Blue Square South
Saturday 20 February 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 656

team: Robinson, Jones, Rollo (c) (Bartlett 57), Coupe, Holland, Connolly (Harris 84), Simpson (Mackie 70), Badman, Edwards, Gilroy, Jombati. subs not used: Caldwell.
man of the match: Adam Connolly
scorers: Connolly (74), Edwards (75)
bookings: Jones (41), Coupe (42)
officials: D Treleaven (Fareham), J Hollior (Basingstoke), J Balcombe (Basingstoke)

league position: 6th form: WWdWDW next match: Welling Utd (A)

Report taken from

Two goals in the space of a minute late in the second half saved Bath City's blushes against rock-bottom Weymouth. The home side endured a frustrating afternoon as they struggled to create chances against the worst defence in the league and it looked like it would be one of those days when Darren Edwards blazed a penalty miles wide in first-half injury-time. But Adam Connolly lifted the gloom with a brilliant free-kick in the 74th minute and Edwards killed the game off 60 seconds later following an excellent cross from impressive substitute Hector Mackie. Dave Gilroy made his first start since returning to the club on loan from Newport, replacing the injured Kaid Mohamed in attack, while Jim Rollo returned to the team at full-back. That allowed Sido Jombati to push forward to left midfield, with Scott Bartlett dropping to the bench. The match was preceded by a minute's applause in celebration of the life and achievements of former City and Weymouth manager Brian Godfrey, who passed away last week at the age of 69.

City had a strong penalty appeal waved away in the eighth minute when James Frampton appeared to handle in the box as Gilroy tried to knock the ball past him. The Terras have conceded 68 goals this season, including 13 in the last three games, so it was unsurprising to see the home side enjoying all the early possession, with former City defender Martin Slocombe producing an important block from Adam Connolly's well-struck shot. That was the only chance of note in the opening 20 minutes but visiting keeper Tim Sandercombe was then forced to produce two saves in the space of 20 seconds, beating away a left-footed drive from Rollo and getting down well to parry Gilroy's close-range shot. However, without the pace of Mohamed and the creativity of the injured Lewis Hogg, City were looking distinctly pedestrian going forward during a deeply uninspiring half. Weymouth offered even less but showed they were prepared to scrap with a couple of tasty tackles, one of which landed Jordan Vincent with a yellow card following a late challenge on Rollo. Gethin Jones was unforunate to join him in the book five minutes before half-time when Joshua Llewellyn kicked the underside of his boot as he played the ball downfield. But there was no argument about Matt Coupe's booking a minute later following a crunching tackle on Jake Reid. From the subsequent free-kick, Slocombe's deep delivery was met by Scott Brice's looping header from the edge of the box which dropped just over the bar. City should have taken the lead in the second minute of injury-time when Jones went down in the box under a challenge by Nathan Davies. Referee Dave Treleaven pointed to the spot, perhaps generously, but any sense of injustice Weymouth may have felt was forgotten when Edwards smashed his penalty well wide of the target.

The game could have done with the goal to bring it to life. Instead the second half began in equally poor fashion with Weymouth's back five looking completely untroubled. City's lack of attacking options on the bench was summed up when manager Adie Britton's first change was to replace left-back Rollo with Bartlett. Weymouth boss Jerry Gill - a former City defender - sent on his first sub in the 64th minute, Luke Benbow for Reid, and home keeper Ryan Robinson had to be quick off his line to prevent the replacement striker latching on to a long clearance moments later. Mackie came on for his home debut with 20 minutes remaining in place of Sekani Simpson but apart from substitutions there was very little happening. However, the tedium was finally broken with two City goals in the space of a minute. The first came when Frampton fouled Gilroy on the edge of the box to give away a soft free-kick, which Connolly brilliantly curled into the back of the net. It was perhaps the first moment of quality in the match but the home fans did not have to wait long to see another, Mackie doing superbly to beat Vincent on the left before picking out Edwards with a fine cross. The striker took a touch before firing into the bottom corner to make amends for his penalty miss. Mackie - who impressed during his cameo appearance against his former club - put in another dangerous cross moments later, which was cleared, while a clever back-heel from Edwards was stopped on the line as Weymouth's heads went down. Benbow tried his luck from distance in injury-time but Robinson saved comfortably as City protected their clean sheet.