Blue Square South
Saturday 6 March - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 603

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly (Harris 51), Simpson, Badman, Edwards (Mackie 87), Mohamed (Gilroy 82), Hogg. subs not used: Bartlett, Perrott.
man of the match: Sido Jombati
scorers: Edwards (38)
bookings: Edwards (15), Badman (27), Hogg (89)
officials: L Collins (Woking), M Taylor (Alton), A Roberts (Ashvale)

league position: 3rd form: dWDWWW next match: Eastleigh (A)

Report taken from

Bath City enhanced their Blue Square South promotion credentials with a well deserved victory over play-off rivals Thurrock. The win came courtesy of Darren Edwards’ first-half strike and sees Adie Britton’s team go back up to third spot, just three points off second-placed Chelmsford with a game in hand.

In truth, City should have sealed this win with a more comprehensive scoreline after missing a number of first-half chances and then nearly letting their visitors back in after the break. City’s first chance came with just nine minutes gone. Sido Jombati put in a defence-splitting pass which found Mark Badman on the right. The midfielder ran on before pulling the ball back to the returning Lewis Hogg, who shot wide of an empty net from four yards. The feeling that City might not score was then compounded on 19 minutes when, after two corners in quick succession, a good one-two was played between Hogg and Gethin Jones. It ended with the former putting a ball across goal which Edwards, sliding in, was only inches from converting. It wasn’t until the half-hour mark that the visitors began to come out of their shell. Even then they were limited to a couple of half chances - the first when Matt Bodkin shot straight into the keeper’s hands, followed by Leon McKenzie firing a ball across goal which nobody could connect with. City’s goal came seven minutes before the interval and in controversial circumstances. Defender Chris Holland launched a ball forwards and Kaid Mohamed, realising he was offside left it. As the defence dithered Edwards ran on to slide a shot past keeper Joe Woolley. It was a goal that saw the visiting team vigorously protesting that Mohamed should have been given offside. The less savoury part of the opening 45 minutes came with a crunching tackle by Rob Swaine on Adam Connolly, followed by some excessive play acting as the Thurrock players rolled on the pitch as if shot after minor knocks. There were seven bookings during the match as at times the referee struggled to maintain control

The second half was much less filled with incident. City retreated somewhat and Thurrock began to assemble more chances on goal, with their best opportunity coming just after the hour mark. Bodkin took a free-kick some 25 yards from the City goal on the right hand side of the pitch. The ball was played deep and Swaine powerfully headed goalwards, producing a fingertip from Ryan Robinson. Ten minutes later Thurrock had a further chance when this time a Bodkin corner was headed down by Matt Clarke, with Robinson gathering at the second attempt. City also had two good opportunities to extend their lead in the second period. With the half only six minutes old Hogg and Mohamed raced towards goal with only Leon Lalite standing between them and the keeper but Hogg lost control and was eventually robbed. In stoppage time the substitute duo of Dave Gilroy and Hector Mackie, who combined for the second goal at Welling last week, nearly repeated the feat. This time Gilroy delayed his shot before losing the ball. After the match it was revealed that Connolly had a deep cut on his left leg, although the injury was not as serious as first thought.