Blue Square South
Tuesday 16 March 2010 - Beveree Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-1 result: L1-3 attendance: 411

team: Robinson. Jombati (Bartlett 65), Rollo (c), Coupe, Holland, Badman (Gilroy 70), Simpson, Connolly, Edwards (Perrott 77), Mohamed, Hogg. subs not used: Harris, Browning.
man of the match: Kaid Mohamed
scorers: Mohamed (37)
bookings: Holland (49), Rollo (67), Coupe (89)
officials: S Child (Kent)

league position: 5th form: DWWWDL next match: Braintree Town (H)

Report taken from

Bath City's Blue Square South play-off hopes suffered a blow tonight at the hands of a Hampton & Richmond team that had not won at home since October. Up against a team fifth from bottom and one that had not won at home since October, this should have been a rehearsal for the more serious contest on Saturday at home to fellow promotion hopefuls Braintree Town. In the end it turned out as anything but an easy ride, with City’s chances blown away in a 10-minute spell either side of the interval and with Hampton fast becoming Adie Britton’s bogey team.

The opening half hour was at best dull and scrappy with the ball seeming to spend as much time in the air or going into touch as it did in constructive play and to the casual spectator it would have been hard to decide which side was going for promotion and which on the verge of the relegation zone. The game came to life when Hampton striker Dave Tarpey had the ball in the net despite the fact he had already been given offside. It might not have been a goal but it served to galvanise the City players. With the ball bobbling around on the left, Lewis Hogg played the ball inside to Kaid Mohamed and the City striker launched a powerful shot that gave the home keeper Matt Lovett no chance. But City’s lead lasted precisely four minutes. That still proved sufficient time for Ryan Robinson to pull off a fine diving save from an Ian Hodges header but the City keeper was powerless to keep out the home side’s goal just seconds later. Despite vigorously protesting, Matt Coupe, recalled in place of the injured Gethin Jones, conceded a free-kick on the edge of the 18-yard box. Tarpey’s shot ricocheted off the City wall and beyond Robinson for the equaliser.

If City thought that was bad then it got a lot worse before inside the first five minutes of the second half. Two minutes after the restart Hampton won a corner on the left. It was played deep to the far post and Dean Inman rose to head home. With City still reeling, a free-kick bobbled around the visitors’ box and Craig Dundas struck to put the home side two goals up. Far from settling back, Hampton continued to pile on the pressure. A couple of minutes later Dundas again popped up in a dangerous position and forced Robinson into a save with his feet. It looked as if City would go further behind when the home side were awarded a penalty for a tug on Tarpey’s shirt. Fortunately for City Barrie Matthews’ spot-kick rebounded back off an upright with Robinson beaten. Finally, still with 25 minutes to go, City again saved themselves when a shot from Stuart Lake rebounded off a defender and then, at the second attempt, Robinson made a stop to keep the home side at bay. In the closing stages City boss Britton brought on Scott Bartlett, Dave Gilroy and Mike Perrott in an attempt to get something out of the game. But with Hampton packing the defence, opportunities were few and far between and Lovett in their goal did not have a save to make.