Blue Square South
Saturday 27 March 2010 - The Camrose - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 524

team: Robinson, Simpson, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Harris (Douglas 83), Badman, Edwards, Mohamed, Hogg. subs not used: Browning, Coupe, Slocombe, Howells.
man of the match: Ryan Robinson
scorers: none
bookings: Harris (70)
officials: to follow

league position: 8th form: WWDLLL next match: Dorchester (H)

Report taken from

Bath City's play-off ambitions suffered another setback when a late goal condemned them to a third successive defeat. Sub Josh Webb headed home with four minutes remaining to punish the visitors for a succession of missed chances. It was a particularly frustrating afternoon for Kaid Mohamed who hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line and failed to hit the target with several other efforts. And with Staines and Dover Athletic both winning, City are now relying on others slipping up during the last month of the season if they are to get back in the top five. Boss Adie Britton made just one change to the team which had started Wednesday's abandoned match at Lewes, Sekani Simpson shrugging off a hamstring strain to replace the suspended Sido Jombati at right-back.

The game took a while to settle down, with each team getting their first chance in quick succession in the seventh minute. First a Basingstoke corner was allowed to run through to Jahson Downes, who dragged his shot well wide. Then, from the goal kick, Mohamed found himself with space 25 yards out but his shot took a slight deflection and went just millimetres wide. That was the start of a good period from the visitors as they gradually assumed the upper hand. Mohamed and Darren Edwards were looking particularly lively up front and the two combined well in the 16th minute to tee up Lewis Hogg, who was unable to keep down his first-time drive. It was a similar story at the other end six minutes later when David Pratt embarked on a good run to find some space on the edge of the box but smashed his shot miles over the bar. Basingstoke's Steve Laidler became the first player in the book in the 24th minute following a foul from behind on Hogg. The City midfielder picked himself up to whip in an excellent free-kick which was deflected goalwards by Mohamed but blocked on the line by Ashley Mitchell. There was another glorious opportunity 10 minutes later when Edwards clevely lifted the ball through to Mohamed but, with home keeper Ross Kitteridge poorly positioned, the City striker pulled his half-volley wide. The visitors almost paid the price for those missed chances 60 seconds later when Jide Ogunbote and Laidler combined to set up Downes. His shot from the edge of the box was on target but City keeper Ryan Robinson got a strong hand to it and pushed it round the post. Matt Warner then found himself in acres of space soon after but, with the unmarked Pratt in support, the wing-back elected to shoot from distance and scuffed his effort miles wide. Despite these couple of scares, City still looked the most likely side to open the scoring but Mohamed was again narrowly off target with an overhead kick following a poor clearing header from Matt Finlay. Back came Basingstoke and Warner sensed a chance to make amends for his earlier miss when he seized on a miskick by Sekani Simpson and set off towards goal before drilling in a clever shot with the outside of his foot, which Robinson again did well to tip to safety.

Basingstoke were back on the pitch a good three minutes before City at the start of the second half - but the officials were even further behind and got a jokey word from Edwards when they eventually took to the field. The visitors were clearly itching to get started and within 20 seconds of the kick-off, Adam Connolly lashed in a shot which hit the side netting. But Basingstoke also made a bright start and went close themselves when, as in the first half, a corner bounced through to Downes but the striker again snatched at his shot when he should have done better. With both teams committed to attacking, it was a surprise that neither had taken the lead. Another chance went begging in the 55th minute when Edwards chested the ball off to Hogg and then collected a clever return pass which put him through on goal. However, with Kitteridge quickly off his line, the City striker elected to pass rather than shoot but rolled the ball behind Mohamed, who would have had a simple tap-in. Downes - who had scored three times in his previous two appearances against City - continued to pose a threat at the other end and had a shot charged down by Jim Rollo after some good footwork in the box. Adie Harris became the first City player in the book after jumping into Rob Rice, although he was not helped by the exaggerated reaction of the Basingstoke right-back. City must have begun to wonder whether it would be their day when, in the 70th minute, Mohamed picked the ball up on the right and cut inside past three defenders before drilling in a left-foot shot which beat Kitteridge but bounced off the inside of the post. The first change of the afternoon was made in the 74th minute when Basingstoke sent on the towering Ben Akwuegbu for the diminutive Downes. It was City who continued to look the most threatening but the chances continued to go to waste, with Mohamed blazing a shot over the bar and then being thwarted by a fine tackle from Lewis Christon before Kitteridge made a save from Chris Holland's deflected drive. Britton sent on Douglas in the 83rd minute and the striker immediately picked out Hogg with a cross but the City midfielder made a mess of his volley. However, it was another substitute who landed the killer blow with four minutes to go, Webb - who had come on Ogunbote in the 81st minute - guiding a superb header into the top corner from a wonderful cross by Rice. It was cruel on City, who had been well on top for the previous 20 minutes, but they could not afford to waste so many chances. Indeed, another opportunity was lost just after the goal when Mohamed again had a shot which was saved at his near post by Kitteridge. Simpson also saw a shot deflect wide in injury-time to sum up City's luckless afternoon.