Blue Square South
Friday 2 April 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 738

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Badman (Harris 56), Edwards (Douglas 60), Mohamed, Hogg. subs not used: Coupe, Evans, Browning.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Hogg (27), Mohamed (55)
bookings: none
officials: P Rees (Portishead), M Halford (Bristol), R Cockle (Bristol)

league position: 8th form: WDLLLW next match: Worcester (A)

Report taken from

Bath City got their crucial Easter weekend off to the necessary winning start as they eased to a comfortable victory over Dorchester Town. Goals in either half from Lewis Hogg and Kaid Mohamed ended a run of three successive defeats and secured one of the four wins boss Adie Britton believes will be enough to earn a place in the promotion play-offs. Britton made just one change to the team which lost at Basingstoke last weekend, with Adie Harris dropping to the bench to make way for Sido Jombati who was available again after suspension. Richard Evans was also among the substitutes following his return from a loan spell at Weston-super-Mare.

City knew this was a must-win game and started accordingly, applying pressure from the opening whistle and forcing a corner inside two minutes which was flicked just over the bar by Jombati. There were muted appeals for a penalty in the fifth minute when Kaid Mohamed went down under a challenge from visiting keeper Ryan Coward. Referee Paul Rees played advantage, though, as the ball had fallen to Mark Badman but his shot was headed off the line by Nathan Walker. Chris Holland went close from a corner and Adam Connolly blazed a shot high and wide from the edge of the box, all inside the opening 10 minutes. Former TeamBath striker Josh Llewellyn provided Dorchester's first threat with an angled drive which was always going over the near post. But that was a rare lapse in City's dominance and the hosts went close again in the 15th minute when Mohamed poked a first-time shot wide following an incisive one-two with Connolly. Coward then had to make a fingertip save midway through the half after Hogg met Jim Rollo's inswinging cross with a well-directed header. But the midfielder was not to be denied and finally gave City the lead in the 27th minute, latching on to Mohamed's through ball and waiting for the keeper to commit himself before lifting his shot into the net from a narrow angle. City lost their way a bit after the goal, though, and Dorchester were able to create a couple of half-scares, with Rollo badly slicing an attempted clearance over his own bar and Mark Jermyn dragging a shot wide from distance. It needed a defensive error at the other end to present City with their next chance. Kyle Critchell gifted the ball to Hogg but rather than shoot, the midfielder elected to play an over-intricate one-two with Darren Edwards and was flagged offside when he collected the return pass.

Dorchester made a couple of changes at half-time, replacing Ryan Hill and James Coutts with Gary Bowles and Jamie Gleeson respectively. But it was City who made the brighter start to the second half, with visiting keeper Coward making a low block at his near post from Edwards' cross-shot after a couple of minutes. The second goal seemed only a matter of time, though, and it duly arrived in the 55th minute. It was a simple one too, with Ryan Robinson's goal-kick being flicked on by Edwards and Mohamed coolly guiding his shot past the onrushing Coward. Badman had to be replaced moments later, limping off with a hamstring injury to be replaced by Harris, but there was no let-up in City's dominance and Dorchester were lucky to survive when Sekani Simpson's deflected cross deceived Coward but was somehow scrambled to safety after getting stuck under Edwards' feet. That was to be the striker's last involvement before, with Monday's game at Worcester City in mind, he came off for a rest to be replaced by Stuart Douglas. It looked like a third change might have to be made midway through the half when Gethin Jones went down with no-one around him, clutching his ankle. However, the defender was able to continue after a couple of minutes' treatment. There was more disruption to a stop-start half when City keeper Ryan Robinson, Douglas and visiting skipper Kevin Hill also needed treatment for knocks, the latter eventually being replaced by Neil Martin as Dorchester made their last change. With so many breaks in play and the points already in the bag, it was no surprise that the game began to peter out but there were a couple of chances in quick succession for City to add to their lead. Connolly's free-kick was pushed behind by Coward and, from the subsequent corner, Mohamed hooked the ball over the bar. But there was little other action at either end during the closing stages as City cruised past the winning post.