Blue Square South
Monday 5 April 2010 - St Georges Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 832

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Harris, Edwards (Evans 78), Mohamed (Douglas 86), Hogg (Browning 88). subs not used: Coupe, Howells.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Hogg (38,83)
bookings: Hogg (85)
officials: S Garratt

league position: 6th form: DLLLWW next match: Staines Town (H)

Report taken from

Two goals from Lewis Hogg - his second and third of the Easter weekend - earned three more vital points for Bath City at Worcester City. The in-form midfielder, who opened the scoring against Dorchester on Good Friday, smashed home a stunning volley in the first half and inadvertently diverted a bizarre second into the net seven minutes from time to boost City's play-off hopes.

Hogg's opening goal came out of the blue during a poor first half in which both sides struggled to impose themselves on the game. It looked to be drifting towards a stalemate until the Worcester defence failed to clear a Sekani Simpson centre from the right and the ball dropped perfectly for Hogg to smash home from 12 yards. Other than a Kaid Mohamed effort which was correctly ruled out for offside in the 14th minute, Hogg's strike was City's first shot at goal. However, they could have doubled their lead almost immediately when Jake Meredith hit a poor clearance straight to Adam Connolly but the home keeper made amends by tipping the City midfielder's instant shot around the post. And Meredith had to be quick off his line in the 41st minute to clear the ball as Darren Edwards attempted to run on to Connolly's through ball. Worcester had also struggled on a difficult pitch, with Marco Adaggio having their best opportunity in only the fifth minute. However, his well-struck shot was at just the right height for Ryan Robinson to make a routine save. Matt Dinsmore saw a free-kick go just over the bar, while Craig Wilding blazed a shot well off target from the edge of the box.

Worcester attempted to force the play at the start of the second half but, apart from a Gary Walker volley which went out of the ground, they failed to produce a shot at goal. Young striker Jake Lee, making his debut after signing on loan from Cheltenham Town, was particularly struggling to get involved so it was no surprise when he was replaced by Matt Birley nine minutes after the break, with Jason Pike coming on for Rob Davies shortly afterwards. Dinsmore tried his luck with a half-volley with the outside of his left foot which deflected narrowly wide as the home side strived to get back on level terms. But that left more space at the other end for City to exploit and Meredith had to race out of his box to clear from Hogg as the midfielder looked to go through on goal. The keeper also made a good save at his near post midway through the second half after Edwards had been allowed to wander on to a Connolly pass before cutting inside and firing in a low shot. City almost paid the price for some sloppy marking in the 77th minute when Dinsmore was left in acres of space at a Worcester corner. He was allowed to collect the ball and whip in a dangerous centre which was narrowly headed over by Shab Khan. City boss Adie Britton made his first change seconds later, sending on Richard Evans for Edwards, but the momentum was with the home side and it needed a goalline clearance from the excellent Sido Jombati to prevent them from equalising after Dinsmore's shot beat keeper Robinson. However, the visitors made sure of the points in bizarre fashion with seven minutes to go. Hogg attempted to bustle his way through but the danger looked to have gone when he ran into Worcester defender Wayne Daniel, only for his clearance to ricochet off the City midfielder and go like a bullet past the helpless Meredith. Hogg was unable to complete his hat-trick, though, as he was hauled off the pitch by Britton to avoid being sent off after continuing to argue with referee Sarah Garratt, despite being booked for dissent with five minutes remaining. He was replaced by Marcus Browning, while Stuart Douglas came on for Mohamed as City finished the game on the front foot. Indeed, Douglas almost put the icing on the cake in injury-time but Meredith was able to deny him with a good save.