Blue Square South
Saturday 17 April - Hayes Lane - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W2-1 attendance: 502

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson, Harris (Browning 63), Edwards, Mohamed (Mackie 84), Hogg. subs not used: Evans, Coupe, Douglas.
man of the match: Kaid Mohamed
scorers: Mohamed (18), Holland (68)
bookings: none
officials: A Crysell, A Williams, T P Hatt

league position: 6th form: LLWWWW next match: Lewes (A)

Report taken from

Chris Holland made amends for his earlier own goal by heading home a second-half winner as Bath City stayed on course for the play-offs. The defender had inadvertently cancelled out Kaid Mohamed's spectacular overhead kick as City went into the break all square, despite creating a host of opportunities. With home keeper Wes Foderingham in inspired form, it appeared it might be one of those days but Holland was able to beat him from close range in the 68th minute to secure City's first-ever win over Bromley. And the victory was absolutely crucial as rivals Braintree, Woking, Havant & Waterlooville and Staines Town all won to ensure the contest for the two remaining play-off places will go to the last day of the season.

Manager Adie Britton stuck with the same XI which started against Staines last week, with Mark Badman - available after suspension but nursing a hamstring stain - not even being risked on the bench. The visitors were cheered on by a vocal travelling army of City fans, many of them resplendent in Roman helmets, but it was the home supporters who were mistakenly cheering a goal first when it looked like Harrison Dunk's mis-hit cross had dropped over Ryan Robinson into the net. However, it had landed on the roof of the net and rolled down the back. City were desperately unlucky not to take the lead in the 15th minute when Holland's punt forward was allowed to bounce through to Mohamed. The striker took a touch before unleashing a left-foot rocket which thudded off the crossbar and left the woodwork rattling. But he did find the back of the net three minutes later - and in equally spectacular style. It looked like City had been denied again when, after a corner was cleared to the edge of the box, Lewis Hogg curled in a great shot which hit the underside of the bar and bounced out. However, the ball bounced back to Mohamed who acrobatically hooked an overhead kick into the empty net. It was a wonderful finish and Mohamed could have been celebrating his second goal in the 20th minute when he burst past Jerrome Sobers and fired in a low shot which keeper Foderingham did well to push away. Opposite number Robinson made an equally impressive save seven minutes later to deny Steve Ferguson after he managed to goalside of Gethin Jones, who had made an uncertain start to the game. However, it was his defensive partner who gifted Bromley an equaliser on the half-hour mark, Holland heading Ferguson's dangerous long throw into his own net. And it almost got worse for City a minute later when Ferguson again managed to get away from Jones and surged into the box before drilling in a low shot which Robinson saved with his legs at the near post. The game was now becoming extremely stretched and it was Foderingham's turn to excel again with two brilliant blocks in the space of three minutes to deny Mohamed - whose effort seemed destined for the far corner of the net - and Darren Edwards. Adie Harris curled a shot over the bar in between and Holland had a header cleared off the line by Wes Daly as City sought to restore their lead. The personal duel between Mohamed and Foderingham continued in the 41st minute when the City striker again managed to break clear to latch onto Adam Connolly's incisive through ball, only for his shot to be saved by the keeper. And Foderingham produced more heroics on the stroke of half-time to keep out Connolly's near-post shot as the visitors went into the break wondering how it was still all square.

Bromley made their first change at half-time, replacing struggling defender Rob Gillman with Tutu Henriques, but Harris was able to play on for City despite taking a whack just before the break which earned Daly a yellow card. The visitors continued to look the more threatening team in the early stages of the second half but had to wait until the 61st minute for their first significant effort on goal, Hogg's free-kick curling just the wrong side of the post with the keeper beaten. Harris finally succumbed to his shin injury in the 63rd minute and had to be replaced by Marcus Browning. The midfielder had barely been on the pitch before City almost found themselves behind. Again it came from a moment of uncertainty by Jones, who hit a clearance straight to Nicky Greene about 40 yards out. He took a couple of touches before playing Ferguson through but fortunately the Bromley striker dragged his shot wide. Instead it was City who got the next goal - and it was redemption for Holland as Hogg's floated free-kick dropped perfectly at the defender's feet to joyously stab home from two yards. City took full control after that and while they were unable to fashion a third goal, they rarely looked like conceding an equaliser. However, there was a real heart-in-mouth moment in the 88th minute when Jones and Bromley sub Marcus Cassius tussled in the box. Both players ended up on the floor but, to the relief of the visitors, the referee awarded the foul in the City defender's favour.